Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Turkey Parmesan Burgers


I am always on the lookout for new burger recipes.  I have tried burgers made from beef, lamb, chicken, and turkey.  The only thing I don't make burgers from is seafood.  Somehow I'm just not into that.  If you're going to eat seafood, eat a wonderful piece of seafood.  Why grind nice seafood up into burgers?  I guess I am a seafood snob.  Anyway, I have recently found that turkey burgers are among my favorites - even ranking up there with beef and lamb burgers, while I'm not a huge fan of chicken burgers.  I think that turkey burgers tend to stay moist, whereas in my experience chicken burgers dry out more easily.  That is perhaps because when I buy ground chicken I tend to buy ground white meat chicken, but who knows?  Regardless, when I saw this chicken parmesan burger recipe from Bon Appetit, I decided I would have to try the whole thing with turkey and with some other significant modifications.

These burgers were definitely yummy.  All Alex had to say was that they were "tasty."  Because they were turkey burgers I don't have to feel so guilty about inhaling mine.  And for the record, I definitely inhaled it.  The burgers are pretty hefty, but still manage to be light, juicy and flavorful.  It was a fun and tasty interpretation of two American favorites - burgers and chicken parm.  I think the addition of the the fresh herbs (particularly the basil) and the toasted sourdough made the burger for me.  And then the radicchio, the marinara, and the mozzarella give the burger some wonderful color and flavor.  As far as I concerned, this burger is a definite keeper, and not just because it's pretty.

Recipe after the jump!


Turkey Parmesan Burgers

INGREDIENTS:

1 tbsp minced fresh basil, plus 12 large basil leaves
3/4 cup purchased refrigerated marinara sauce, plus 2 tbsp
1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated 
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon grated onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp fresh basil, minced
2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
4 ounces whole-milk mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
6 3/4-inch-thick slices of sourdough bread, drizzled with evoo and lightly toasted 
4 large radicchio leaves
thinly sliced red onion

Add ground turkey, parm, bread crumbs, 1/2 tbsp evoo, grated onion, garlic, salt, pepper, basil and parsley to large mixing bowl.  Mix thoroughly with your hands.  If mixture is very wet, add more panko bread crumbs to firm it up and bind the burgers together.  Using your hands, form the burgers into 3 patties.

Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook patties until golden brown and crusty on one side, about 5 minutes.  Flip patties over with spatula.  After 2 minutes, top burgers with sliced mozzarella cheese.  Cook burgers until cooked through and cheese is melted, about 3 additional minutes.  Remove burgers from pan and tent with aluminum foil.

Meanwhile, warm remaining 3/4 cup marinara in small saucepan.  Season to taste with s&p, if necessary.

Assemble burgers with bread, then radicchio, then burgers topped with warm marina sauce, basil leaves, red onions, and remaining piece of bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment