Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Stir-Fried Rice with Pork and Shiitake Mushrooms (Rou Si Chao Fan)


Fried rice has never enjoyed the prominence in China that it does in the United States.  While I was in China I really only saw fried rice served in the little noodle shop near my school in styrofoam containers, along with various stir-fried noodle dishes.  I don't recall ever seeing it in restaurants.  Not once!  But Alex and I like to make fried rice periodically because it's an excellent way to use up leftovers and to put together a quick and tasty meal.  It has never occurred to me before to use dried shiitake mushrooms in my fried rice, but I really liked that touch.  I think that I might incorporate those mushrooms into more of my fried rice recipes because I really liked that touch.  Dried shiitake mushrooms have a much deeper and earthier flavor than fresh shiitakes.  It's very umami.  I love egg and leeks in fried rice, so we threw those in there (even though the recipe didn't use them) as well.  I thought that the ground pork was really nice in here because it was more evenly dispersed than chunks or slices of pork would have been.  All in all, I really liked this rice and would make it again.  It's not earth-shattering, but it's flavorful and homey. 

P.S.  I have decided that my seven Asian meals for Chinese New Year is restricted to main courses and fried rice (and other sides) don't count.  So this is just a bonus!
 
Recipe after the jump!

Stir-Fried Rice with Pork and Shiitake Mushrooms (Rou Si Chao Fan)
Adapted from Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook: Recipes from Hunan Province
By Fuchsia Dunlop

INGREDIENTS:
6 oz dried shittake mushrooms
3 tbsp peanut oil
1 egg, lightly beaten with 1/2 tsp seasme oil
7 oz ground pork
1 leek, white and light green parts, thinly sliced on the bias
2 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
s&p
dried chili flakes (optional)
2 1/2 cups cooked rice
1 1/2 tsp sesame oil

Soak shiitake mushrooms for at least 30 minutes in hot water.  When they are soft, remove stems, and thinly slice the caps.  Set aside.

Heat wok over medium heat.  Add 1 tbsp peanut oil.  Add egg and s&p.  Cook egg until it sets into a thin egg pancake, flipping once.  Remove from wok with a spatula.  Set aside on cutting board.  Heat wok over high heat.  Add another tbsp peanut oil.  Swirl around.  Once the oil is hot, add the pork and stir-fry until it changes color.  Add 1/2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine and a generous pinch of salt.  Stir to combine.  Add sliced mushrooms and stir-fry until fragrant, adding chili flakes (if desired).  Add rice and continue to stir-fry, seasoning with remaining soy sauce and salt to taste.  When rice is fragrant and delicious, add scallions.  Toss a few times.

Remove from heat, add sesame oil and pepper to taste.  Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment