Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Chocolate Candy Cane Kiss Cookies


This cookie recipe marks my first baking experiment of 2012.  Hurray!  And probably my last baking experiment for awhile because Alex and I have been eating entirely too many cookies recently.  We should at least pretend to be a little healthier.  But I found these Hershey's candy cane kisses that I am absolutely obsessed with so I was desperate to make a cookie with them.  The sad thing is that the gym was where I first encountered these kisses.  So I go there to sweat and lose weight, and instead end up scarfing down Hershey's kisses and daydreaming about cookie recipes.  Ironic, isn't it?

I originally wanted to do a riff on Peanut Butter Kisses using the candy cane kisses, but ended up making these instead.  The cookie itself is a little brownie like in flavor (with a hint of mint) and crispy/chewy, rather than soft.  I really like them because they are an excellent vehicle for my candy cane kisses.  Plus they look (and taste) really festive and fun!

Recipe after the jump!



Chocolate Cane Cane Kiss Cookies

INGREDIENTS:
18 tbsp unsalted butter (2 sticks, plus 2 tbsp)
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp mint extract
1 vanilla bean, split down the middle and seeds scraped
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
approximately 30 Hershey's candy cane kisses, unwrapped and roughly chopped
1/3 cup granulated sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


In large bowl mix butter and sugar till fluffy, add eggs, mint extract and vanilla.  Mix well.  Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt, and slowly add to butter mixture.

Line baking sheets with parchment paper.  Roll dough into balls about 1-inch in diameter then roll in granulated sugar.  Place balls on prepared cookie sheets about 2 inches apart and bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool slightly.  Top with chopped Hershey's kisses.

No comments:

Post a Comment