Sunday, February 19, 2012

Radish Sliver Omelet


I love easy egg dishes.  Eggs are one of my go-to quick and easy meals because you can do so many different things with them.  And they are so freaking easy to make!  In the spirit of Chinese New Year I decided to make this Radish Sliver Omelet from the Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook: Recipes from Hunan Province with the eggs and daikon that I picked up at the farmers' market.  I'm on a bit of a daikon kick lately, in case you couldn't tell.  I am addicted to the crunch.  I briefly considered counting this as one of our Chinese New Year meals, but then I decided that was lame since the dish is so incredibly simple.  So I'm giving you guys another bonus Chinese recipe!  It's not an earth shattering/ground breaking recipe, but it is tasty and very simple to make.  Alex thought the omelet would benefit from a slightly sweet dipping sauce, but I thought it was perfectly fine on its own.  It does require a little time because you have to salt the daikon slivers and set them aside for 30 minutes to remove excess moisture, but aside from that it comes together in a matter of minutes.  You could do what Alex and I did and prep the daikon, then go shower, and then come back and cook lunch.  It worked out pretty well if I do say so myself!

Recipe after the jump!



Radish Sliver Omelet
Adapted from Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook: Recipes from Hunan Province
By Fuchsia Dunlop


INGREDIENTS:
10 oz daikon radish
s&p
5 scallions, green parts only, finely sliced
3 tbsp peanut oil


Peel the radish and cut it into very thin slices, and then in very thin slivers (we used a mandoline to cut the thin slices and then a knife to cut the slivers).  Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt, mix well, and leave to drain for 30 minutes in a colander.


Remove daikon slivers and squeeze to remove as much moisture as possible.  Heat the peanut oil in a nonstick skillet



No comments:

Post a Comment