Saturday, May 19, 2012

Sauteed Asparagus with Green Garlic and Fried Eggs


This is the type of meal that I would eat all the time if I were still single or living alone.  And that's exactly what I told Alex while we were eating dinner last night.  I freaking love asparagus and I love eggs.  Any dish that combines those two thing is A-OK with me.  I guess that's no surprise to anyone seeing as we have a number of other recipes on the blog that combine those two things (see Midnight Asparagus with Creamy Eggs and Pan-Roasted Asparagus, Poached Egg and Miso Butter for two quick examples, although I know that there are at least 2 more on the blog off the top of my head).  I just can't help myself when things go together this well!  

This is the perfect mid-week meal because it comes together easily and quickly, and requires minimal prep-work.  Alex and I made it Thursday night after I got home from work around 9 pm and we had it on the table (and eaten) by 9:30.  How easy is it to just fry up a few eggs and serve them on top of some sauteed asparagus?  I am strongly of the belief that many dishes would be improved by the addition of a runny egg or two, but that's another story entirely.  Another plus for this dish is that it can be adapted to use whatever you have in the fridge.  I know I generally don't have access to green garlic, but we had it this time so we used it.  Regular garlic would work just fine!  

As a side note, before you all think I have turned vegetarian on you,  the next few posts will be meaty.  So stay tuned!

Recipe after the jump!


Sauteed Asparagus with Green Garlic and Fried Eggs

INGREDIENTS:
1 stalk green garlic, white parts only, thinly sliced
2 tbsp evoo, plus 2 tsp, separated
1 to 1 1/2 lbs (thin to medium) asparagus, trimmed and cut on the diagonal into 2-inch lengths
s&p
2 eggs

Heat the evoo over moderately high heat in a large, heavy skillet. Add the asparagus. Saute until the asparagus is tender and the skin has shriveled slightly, about five minutes. Add the garlic, and continue to saute for another minute until the garlic is translucent. Season to taste with s&p.  Drizzle with basil evoo.  Toss to combine.

Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tsp evoo in a medium nonstick skillet over moderate heat.  Gently crack eggs into the skillet.  Season eggs lightly with s&p.  Cook until the whites are just set and the yolks are still runny, about 2 minutes.

Serve asparagus topped with fried eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment