Saturday, July 14, 2012

Grilled Zucchini with Burrata


This post includes a few things I never thought I would say.  First, I thought the recipe might have been better without the burrata.  That never happens because I love burrata.  Maybe fresh mozzarella would have worked better?  I don't know but the burrata just didn't seem to really work here.  It was lovely and creamy, but the flavor didn't really seem to work with the acidity of the white wine flavor and the flavors of the marinated zucchini.  And as much as I liked the flavor of the zucchini, it got a little old after awhile.  Maybe in the future I should mix it up and serve several different types of grilled vegetables in the same marinade (but perhaps cut down on the amount of vinegar just a touch) and leave out the cheese as a grilled vegetable platter.  That might work.  Second, the garlic and vinegar here were good in the first bite and then it got to be a bit much.  So I might cut back on those as well.  Otherwise...  Well that might be all I had to say because I can't think of anything else.  If I were to give the dish a grade it would be a B-.  We didn't hate it, but it certainly wouldn't make my list of dishes that we need to make again in the future.  I thought about not bothering to post it at all, but I figured I should own up to my recipe failures (and this wasn't exactly a failure) as well as my successes.  This one fell somewhere in the middle of that spectrum.

Recipe after the jump!



Grilled Zucchini with Burrata

2 large zucchini, cut lengthwise on the bias into roughly 1/4-inch thick slices
1 1/2 tbsp evoo
s&p
1-1 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar, separated
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoon basil, chiffonaded
1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, minced
1 ball of burrata cheese

Heat a grill pan over moderately-high heat. In a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, toss the zucchini with 1 tbsp evoo, 1/2 tsp vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.  Grill zucchini, turning once, until tender, with defined grill marks, about 3 minutes per side.  Return the zucchini to the bowl, drizzle on remaining evoo and vinegar.  Add garlic and herbs.  Toss to coat.  Season with s&p.  Set aside to cool slightly.

Plate zucchini and top with burrata.  Drizzle the oil and vinegar mixture over the burrata and zucchini.  Serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment