Sunday, May 5, 2013

Spaghetti with Crab, Lemon and Chili


For some reason on our last trip to Cost Co I decided to pick up a can of jumbo crab.  I say "for some reason" because I am not actually a huge fan of crab meat in things.  I love crabs.  But I think that, at least for me, the whole experience of cracking and picking apart crabs smothered in Old Bay and drinking a beer is what makes crab worthwhile.  It should be messy and un-refined.  I also really enjoy a good Dungeness crab from time to time, but again it's the experience of eating the whole crab that I really enjoy.  I will also occasionally eat crab cake, but I am very picky about my crab cakes.  Growing up in Maryland can turn people into total crab cake snobs.  I also love soft shell crabs in a number of different preparations (fried Asian soft shell crabs rock my world).  But crab on pasta just didn't do it for me.  I have wanted to try a pasta with chilis and crab for a long time.  And maybe we just didn't do a very good job with it.  But I thought the flavor of the chilis totally overpowered the flavor of the crab and the basil.  It was fine (and we both cleared our plates), but I wouldn't make it again.  Luckily we have just under a pound of crab meat leftover so I think we are going to make some crab cakes for dinner.  Here's hoping that the crab cakes turn out better than our pasta...

Recipe after the jump!




Spaghetti with Crab, Lemon and Chili

INGREDIENTS:
3 tbsp cup olive oil
zest and juice of 1 lemons
2 Thai chiles, finely chopped (I would recommend seeding at least one of the chilis)
1/2 lb fresh spaghetti
1/2 lb white crab meat
handful fresh basil leaves, torn
crushed sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Add the olive oil, lemon zest, and chopped chilis to a small pan and place over low heat until they begin to sizzle. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until just al dente (according to the package instructions). Drain well and set aside. 
Add the chili and lemon-infused oil to the pot that the spaghetti was cooked in. Add the lemon juice and cook over medium heat until sizzling.  Return the spaghetti to the pan and add the crab meat. Toss gently to warm the crab and pasta through, about 1-2 minutes. 
Fold in the basil and season with crushed sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. 

Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment