Sunday, July 28, 2013

Tyler Florence's Peach, Mozzarella and Crispy Prosciutto Salad


Here's another salad for you courtesy of the farmers' market.  Work is busy enough that I only have the opportunity to cook/eat 1-2 meals per week at home so I really want to take advantage of the produce at the farmers' market and make great meals when I can.  This salad started with the peaches.  I love the smell of fresh peaches, but I just can't get into eating them solo.  It's the fuzz on the skin that really throws me.  But when you combine fresh peaches with other ingredients in a salad or crostini I really enjoy it.  Go figure.  I was going to make this Grilled Peach Panzanella Salad but I thought it would be fun to try something new.  Since I really liked the combination of prosciutto, peaches and dairy in the crostini I wanted to make a salad that used those ingredients.  This Tyler Florence recipe fit the bill perfectly.  It wasn't the most amazing salad we have made but it was fun and different.  I liked the crispy prosciutto and the fennel.  We don't use fennel a lot, but it is really growing on me.  The anise flavor and the crunch of the fennel works beautifully in a salad.  While the salad was nice, it didn't really come together for me.  If you had a bite with equivalent amounts of every single ingredient in it, it wasn't bad, but if you had a bite without the prosciutto it lacked seasoning/salt.  It was still yummy, but it wasn't quite as delicious as I had hoped for. 

I'm hoping that work will slow down enough for us to make a few more farmers' market-inspired meals.  At the very least I have a few more to post about, including the Corn Som Tam with Rock Shrimp we made this afternoon.

Recipe after the jump.


 
Tyler Florence's Peach, Mozzarella and Crispy Prosciutto Salad
Adapted from Serious Eats

INGREDIENTS:
3 ripe peaches, pitted and cut into large wedges
1/2 fennel bulb, thinly shaved or sliced
8 thin slices prosciutto
2 cups baby arugula and radicchio (the recipe called for watercress but they were out at the grocery store)
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup evoo
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 oz fresh burrata mozzarella, torn into bite-size pieces
Pre-heat oven to 350° Fahrenheit. On a baking sheet, lay the slices of prosciutto in a single layer. Bake until firm and golden, 15–20 minutes. The prosciutto may not be crisp in the oven, but will become crisp as it cools
In the meantime, toss the peaches, fennel, and salad greens together in a large bowl. 
In a small bowl, make the dressing by whisking together the vinegar and oil, adding the oil in a slow stream to create an emulsion. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 
Toss the vegetables together with the dressing and arrange on a serving platter or on plates. Nestle the mozzarella amongst the ingredients, and top with the crisp prosciutto.

No comments:

Post a Comment