Sunday, March 23, 2014

Banana Oatmeal Cookies with Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chips


Last weekend after Alex and I returned from Whistler we went on something of a baking bonanza because we returned to an entire bunch of overripe bananas.  I was originally planning on making banana bread but we always make banana bread so I decided to be a little more creative.  Let's just say that Alex wasn't thrilled with the whole idea but I was pretty pumped to be in the kitchen.  It has been so long since I had time to bake/cook that I got a little excited and overambitious (we had stock going and dinner to prep while I was baking).  These cookies were the perfect breakfast cookie - they weren't too sweet and who doesn't love oatmeal and bananas for breakfast?  I have no shame in admitting that I ate one or two cookies most mornings before work.  I also had a few after work, but that's beside the point.  Unfortunately I didn't do a very good job of mixing the dough (it is a pretty thick dough and I got a little lazy) so the distribution of chocolate chips and peanut butter chips wasn't very even, but I thought the cookies were still pretty delicious.

Recipe after the jump!


 
Banana Oatmeal Cookies with Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chips
Available at Serious Eats

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups (7 1/2 ounces) all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
1 cup mashed banana from about 2 very ripe bananas
1 egg
2 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (we actually used semisweet because it was all we had)

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in banana and egg. Beat in dry ingredients until just combined, followed by oats. Use a rubber spatula to fold in peanut butter and chocolate chips. Cover dough with plastic wrap and let chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and preheat to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Use cookie scoop to drop dough onto prepared baking sheets. Bake until cookies are golden at the edges, about 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment