Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Skirt Steak Fajitas with Lime and Pepper


Somehow I don't think I have ever made fajitas before.  I'm not really sure why that is, since we make soft tacos with all sorts of fillings fairly regularly, but we never ever make fajitas.  Growing up I always associated fajitas with chicken, grilled bell peppers and grilled onions.  Somehow they never quite did it for me.  If I had known that fajitas could be this good I would have made them long ago!

This recipe was based off one I found online at Epicurious that was from an old issue of Gourmet.  As I mentioned in my Chili-Rubbed Shrimp with Avocado Corn Cocktail post, I found two recipes that I was interested in making for Cinco de Mayo and we decided to make both.  Well, Alex decided to make both.  I just went along for the ride.  And since the shrimp was our original plan, I'm really glad that we decided to make the steak as well.  I loved these fajitas.  I think it was the onions that did it for me, although I also liked the steak itself.  It never occurred to me before to grill sweet onions and then toss them in balsamic vinegar.  Plain old grilled onions are tasty.  Grilled onions tossed in balsamic vinegar are amazing.  I'm going to start throwing them in all sorts of dishes!  There was something really wonderful about the combination of the bright cilantro, with the zip of the lime, the savory and yet sweet onions, and the skirt steak.  Skirt steak is one of my favorite cuts of steak.  It has so much flavor in and of itself.  Unlike other cuts of meat, you really can just throw some salt and pepper on skirt steak, and a little oil, and end up with a wonderfully tasty piece of meat.  I use skirt steak everytime we make tacos and from now on, I am going to use it for all of my fajita-making endeavors!

I love Cinco de Mayo!  And I love my new plates!  Aren't they pretty?

Recipe after the jump!




Skirt Steak Fajitas with Lime and Black Pepper
Adapted from Gourmet
June 2002

INGREDIENTS:
1 large sweet onion, peeled and cut lengthwise into 8 wedges, leaving root ends intact
2 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp kosher salt, plus 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
3 garlic cloves, grated
1 1/2 lb skirt steak, halved crosswise
2 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 tsp ancho chili powder
8 flour tortillas, fajita size
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 lime, cut into wedges

No comments:

Post a Comment