Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Lavash Pizza with Arugula and Langoustine



In my last trip to Trader Joe's I picked up a few random ingredients, including some frozen langoustine tails, some lavash (a thin, Middle Eastern flatbread), zucchini, squash, tomatoes, arugula, grated Swiss and gruyere cheese, and brussel sprouts.  So I had to figure out a recipe that would use up at least a few of my random ingredients.  Luckily, the Summer Vegetable Gratin last night used up some of the zucchini and the Roma tomatoes.  So tonight's goal was to use up more of my random Trader Joe's ingredients.  In addition to the langoustine tails, lavash, and grated cheeses I threw in the basil Alex picked up at the store today, plus the last of the Salvatore Bklyn fresh ricotta for good measure.  When I bought the lavash and the shredded cheeses I had originally intended to make an Alsatian tarte flambee (a thin, crispy pizza of sorts, topped with creme fraiche, onions and lardons).  Incidentally, Trader Joe's makes a pretty phenomenal version of the tarte flambee in their frozen foods section.  I picked one of those up too for good measure, but I thought I would try making one of my own as well.  Unfortunately, we were out of creme fraiche and lardons, so I had to improvise.  And this pizza was what I came up with.  It was perhaps the easiest and quickest flatbread pizza ever.  Because the lavash is so thin, it crisps up beautifully, as well as very quickly.

This is the first lavash pizza I have ever made and it was wonderful.  I will definitely be making more lavash pizzas in the future - perhaps a Mediterranean pizza with hummus and feta, and definitely my tarte flambee.  I have to say that the langoustine and arugula combination was a lot more successful that I had thought it would be.  The peppery notes of the arugula contrasted beautifully against the sweetness of the langoustines and prawns.  And then you had the wonderful crunch of the lavash crust.  This pizza definitely needs something to give it a little moisture (e.g. hummus, ricotta, or tomato sauce).  Otherwise it might get a little dry.  But with some ricotta?  Delicious.  And super easy.

Recipe after the jump!



Lavash Pizza with Arugula and Langoustine
INGREDIENTS:
1 piece of lavash
2 1/2 tbsp evoo, plus additional for drizzling
1 garlic clove, minced
pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 Trader Joe's shredded Swiss and Gruyere cheese blend
1 tbsp butter
1/3 cup Trader Joe's frozen langoustine tails, defrosted
s&p
1 1/2 tbsp fresh ricotta
1/4 cup baby arugula
1 tbsp fresh basil,
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place lavash on large rimmed baking sheet.  Brush lavash all over (including the edges) with 1 tbsp evoo.  Bake until edges start to turn golden and lavash becomes crispy, about 5 minutes.  Turn lavash over on baking sheet. Brush with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons evoo. Sprinkle on garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Top with grated cheese blend. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until pizza is heated through and cheeses melt, about 6-7 minutes. 

Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saute pan over medium-low heat.  Add langoustines and toss in melted butter. Cook langoustines just until warmed through.  Season with s&p.

Remove from oven.  Spread the ricotta over the melted cheese.  Top with arugula, langoustines, basil, and a drizzle of evoo.

Serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment