Sunday, October 2, 2011

Biscuit Fail


Alex was browsing CNN the other day and came across a new buttermilk biscuit recipe.  Only it's not a new recipe.  It showed up on the Homesick Texan blog back in 2007.  It's just a recipe that is new to us.  And it involved a technique new to us - beating your biscuits with a rolling pin.  According to Homesick Texan, before baking soda and baking powder cooks would beat their dough with a mallet or a rolling pin to make it rise.  Alex thought the technique was interesting enough to try it out.  So we did.  I got home from hot yoga (and was that an experience or what) and I was starving.  And I was seriously craving some biscuits.  I'm not sure what we did wrong here, but the biscuits didn't quite work out as planned.  I don't know if we beat the biscuits too much, or not enough.  Or if we overworked the dough in some other way.  But they weren't as light and fluffy as I had hoped they would be.  Actually, they were kind of dense.  There was no fluffiness whatsoever.  I'm sure it was our fault (or Alex's fault since he made the biscuits while I supervised) and not the recipe.  Oh well.  Better luck next time.  And for the record, I still ate three of them.  Haha.  I clearly have a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment