Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Jicama, Radish and Pepita Salad


I love this salad.  It is everything I wanted it to be - fresh, bright and clean.  The flavors work together really nicely to give you a wonderfully refreshing salad with a hint of sweetness (frmo the honey and jicama) to counteract the slight peppery flavor of the radishes and the salty flavor of the roasted salted pepitas and Cotija cheese.  It also has great texture (lots of different types of crunch).  I was really happy with it.  And I know I will make it again because it is exactly the type of salad that I crave all spring/summer long.  In a throwdown between this salad and my other favorite "Mexican" salad (Mache and Avocado Salad with Tortilla Strips), I'm not sure exactly which one would win.  They are both delicious and easy to make, but they are very different salads.  I'm going to call it a tie because I'm not sure I could choose a winner (and because I will definitely be making both salads for years to come).

Recipe after the jump!

Jicama, Radish and Pepita Salad
Bon Appetit
July 2005

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
1 5-ounce package butter lettuce mix or baby spinach leaves
2 cups diced peeled jicama
1 scant cup thinly sliced radishes (about 8)
1/3 cup natural shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas), lightly toasted
1/2 cup coarsely crumbled queso fresco or Cotija cheese

Whisk first 5 ingredients in small bowl. Season dressing with salt and pepper. Toss lettuce, jicama, and radishes in large bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Divide salad among 4 plates. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and cheese and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment