Sunday, May 13, 2012

Shaved Asparagus Salad with Parmigiano-Reggiano


I know, I know - I'm posting another asparagus recipe.  Deal with it.  I bought two bunches at the farmer's market today and I couldn't wait to get home and make the first.  I wanted to buy some sugar snap peas too, but they were all gone by the time we got there.  I was very sad.  I bet you are sad too because sugar snap peas would provide at least a little variety.  Since it was pretty hot out today I decided to make a raw asparagus salad for lunch.  Asparagus works wonderfully with lemon and/or Dijon vinaigrette.  I decided to go with a lemon vinaigrette because it sounded fresher and lighter.  We actually made a very similar salad last summer with Pecorino cheese instead of Parmigiano-Reggiano (see Asparagus and Pecorino Salad), but I liked today's salad more.  I thought the buttery flavor and crunch of the toasted pine nuts was a nice touch.  I also liked the addition of the parsley for some additional brightness.  The bright citrus vinaigrette really compliments the grassy sweet flavor of the fresh asparagus.  And then you have the sharp salty flavor of the Parmigiano-Reggiano and the buttery pine nuts.  Yum.  It's very simple, but it works.

Recipe after the jump!

 
Shaved Asparagus Salad with Parmigiano-Reggiano
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp champagne vinegar
2 tbsp shallot, minced
s&p
3 tbsp pine nuts, toasted and cooled
1 bunch asparagus, woody ends trimmed, spears thinly shaved with a vegetable peeler
3 tbsp evoo
1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, shaved with a vegetable peeler
1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped

Combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, vinegar, shallot, and a pinch each of salt and pepper in a small bowl. Let sit for 15 minutes. Slowly stream evoo into the lemon-vinegar mixture while whisking. Season to taste with s&p.
Place asparagus in a large bowl.  Add pine nuts, dressing, half of the parm-reg, and all of the parsley to the asparagus.  Toss to combine. Serve topped with the remaining parm-reg.

No comments:

Post a Comment