Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Unda Chicken Kati Rolls

 
Since I graduated from NYU I have had very few chances to head back down to Kati Roll for their Unda Chicken Kati Roll.  And man I loved that roll.  So now I have decided to try and make it at home.  On our last shopping trip to Kalustyans we picked up a package of their fresh parathas so I have been looking forward to making kati rolls ever since.  I know I have talked about making homemade kati rolls for some time now, and I have made variations on the kati roll several times, Scallion Pancake Roll-Ups with Five Spice Duck Breast for instance.  But now that we have parathas we are making actual, honest-to-God kati rolls.  Or at least my version of the same.  

I will admit that when making any Indian dish, my first resource that I always turn to is Madhur Jaffrey.  So for this dish I looked at her recipes for Tandoori Chicken and Cilantro Chutney for inspiration.  I knew I wanted to marinate the chicken in yogurt because by marinating the chicken in yogurt you get wonderfully succulent chicken, even when you use boneless skinless chicken breasts.  The flavors I taste most in the chicken itself are ginger and lemon.  Alex said he tasted turmeric.  I mainly added the turmeric for the lovely warm, golden color it gives the marinade, but sure.  I thought the chicken would be a little spicier than it was, but that isn't really a complaint.  We served the chicken with a rather incendiary homemade chutney so it's a good thing that both elements weren't super spicy.  In Alex's words, the kati rolls were "quite tasty, but messy."  I would agree with both of those things.  I thought that these kati rolls were really good, but not quite as good as the ones I used to enjoy at Kati Roll downtown.  I'm not exactly sure what was missing, but some integral element of their unda chicken was missing.  I think I have to go back to Kati Roll to refresh my memory in order to really recreate their dish.  I have all of the basic flavors and concepts, but I am missing something...

Recipe after the jump!


Unda Chicken Kati Roll

INGREDIENTS:
1 3/4 lbs boneless, skinless breasts, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 1/2 cups fat-free Greek yogurt
juice of one lemon
3 garlic cloves, grated
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
half of a medium yellow onion, grated
3 Thai red chilis, finely chopped
1 tbsp garam masala
1/2 tsp turmeric
4 parathas
3 large eggs, lightly beaten with 1 tbsp water
3 tbsp cilantro, roughly chopped
1/4 cup red onion, thinly shaved
Cilantro-Cucumber Chutney

Sprinkle chicken cubes on all sides with salt.  Set aside.  Combine yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, onion, chilis, garam masala, and turmeric in a mixing bowl.  Stir to combine.  Combine chicken and yogurt marinade in a resealable plastic bag.  Massage chicken pieces to evenly distribute marinade.  Marinate in the refrigerator overnight, turning once to ensure that the chicken is evenly marinated.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.  Remove chicken from bag and drain excess marinade.  Spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.  Spread chicken pieces out in one layer on baking sheet.  Bake until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.

Heat an 8-inch nonstick pan over medium heat.  Add 1 tsp vegetable oil.  Add paratha and cook on one side until warmed through and golden brown in places, about 30 seconds per side.  Remove paratha from pan and add half of the beaten eggs.  Sprinkle with salt.  Allow to cook for 10-20 seconds, until the egg is mostly set.  Add the paratha and cook until egg pancake has adhered to the paratha and is set.  Remove paratha from pan and place, egg side up, on a plate.  Top with onion, chicken, and cilantro cucumber chutney.  Repeat with remaining parathas and egg mixture.


Cilantro and Cucumber Chutney

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups cilantro (leaves and upper stems only)
1/2 cup English cucumber, roughly chopped
2 fresh Thai red chilis, coarsely chopped
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp roasted cumin seeds
freshly ground black pepper

Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender.  Blend, pushing down the ingredients with a rubber spatula several times, until you have a paste. Season with additional s&p to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment