Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Watermelon Popsicles


At the beginning of the summer I bought a popsicle mold at Bed Bath and Beyond with the belief that I would make popsicles all summer long.  And then the popsicle mold ended up in the back of the cabinet and was forgotten.  I unearthed it this weekend and decided I no longer had any excuse for not making popsicles.  Originally I was trying to make the watermelon-kaffir lime juice from Fatty Crab in popsicle form, but I wasn't sure how I wanted to deal with the kaffir lime.  I thought about making a kaffir lime simple syrup, but decided that was too much trouble.  So I decided to blend up some of the watermelon I had cubed in the fridge with some lime juice (and zest), a little sugar, and some herbs.  Luckily after our Asian cooking extravaganza this weekend we had fresh mint, fresh basil, fresh Thai basil, and fresh cilantro in the fridge.  I couldn't decide between watermelon-mint and watermelon-basil (in honor of the watermelon-basil margaritas at Cascabel) popsicles, so in the end I decided to throw both in there and see what happened.

I really liked these popsicles, although there was a slight execution problem in that all of the lime juice ended up settling in the bottom of the molds (i.e. the top of the popsicles themselves).  But I loved the combination of the watermelon, mint, basil and lime.  It was seriously refreshing.  As a side note, these popsicles might just have been my dog's favorite treat ever.  He loves both watermelon and ice cubes, so he was downright slobbering over our watermelon popsicles!

Recipe after the jump!

Watermelon Popsicles

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups seedless watermelon, roughly chopped into 2-inch cubes
3 tbsp sugar
juice of 1 lime
zest of 1 lime
1/4 cup mint and fresh basil (in whatever ratio you like - I went heavier on the mint and lighter on the basil, but that's just me)

Combine all ingredients together in a food processor or blender.  Puree/process ingredients until smooth.

Divide mixture evenly between popsicle molds, according to mold directions.  This should be enough to make about 6 popsicles (depending on the size of your molds).  Insert mold tops and freeze.  Alternatively, pour mixture into 8 Dixie cups.  Freeze for 30 minutes before gently inserting popsicle sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment