Sunday, October 31, 2010

Edamame Hummus


I'm not sure why dips appeal to me so much, but they really do.  I love anything that you can serve with pita, or spread over slices of baguette.  Unfortunately, some dips (like most spinach and artichoke dips) are full of fat (not to mention dairy, which is bad when you're lactose-intolerant like I am).  So I generally try not to indulge too much, but I just can't stop myself when it comes to hummus.  I love hummus.  And I am always looking for a new and better hummus recipe.  This time I decided to mix it up and make an edamame hummus.  The addition of edamame gave me some trouble in deciding what herbs and spices to mix in - Alex suggested shichimi togarashi, but that just didn't sound right.  In the end I went with more traditional hummus flavors and just used some tahini, lemon juice, parsley and cayenne pepper.  Texturally, edamame hummus is always a little grainier than white bean hummus or traditional hummus.  I think it has something to do with the fiber content, but I'm not a nutritionist so I don't really know.  Anyway, I really liked this hummus.  I think Alex prefers regular hummus, but there was something nice and fresh about the edamame hummus.  It does rather resemble guacamole or some form of avocado mousse, but I can't hold that against it since avocado is quite delicious.

Recipe after the jump!



Edamame Hummus
INGREDIENTS:
16 oz. bag of frozen edamame beans, cooked according to package instructions
14 oz. can chickpeas
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup Italian flat-leaf parsley
1/2 tbsp sea salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup evoo

Combine all ingredients together in food processor.  Puree, using brief pulses, until smooth.  I like to stream in the evoo, or add it a little at a time (this time I added 1/4 cup and then the rest in 2 tbsp increments), just until the texture becomes nice and creamy, but you can just add it all in at once if you prefer.  Season to taste with additional salt, cayenne, or lemon juice.

Serve with pita chips or toasted pita triangles

No comments:

Post a Comment