Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Pork Shoulder Adobo


If I am not mistaken, this is the fourth version of adobo that Alex and I have made.  We made two versions of chicken adobo and then one pork belly adobo.  This recipe is loosely based on our second attempt at chicken adobo, which I called Chicken Adobo, Take Two.  Up until now, that was by far my favorite adobo we had made.  Now I am torn between whether this recipe or the chicken version was better.  This version is really really good.  I have to issue a disclaimer with that statement.  Usually I blog about recipes the night after we make them, which doesn't leave me time to sample the leftovers to see if they are even better than the initial meal.  In this case, Alex made the adobo during the hurricane while I was in St. Louis, so I never had the opportunity to try the freshly cooked initial meal.  All I had access to was the leftovers after they sat in the fridge for a few days.  And the leftovers were delicious - vinegary, slightly spicy and very flavorful.  Marinating the meat overnight, in addition to braising it in the marinade, really helped to intensify the flavors of the adobo.  The pork shoulder itself is really tender, although some of the less fatty pieces got a little dry (particularly when reheated in the microwave).  Alex admits that the flavors have melded and improved as the adobo sat in the fridge.  I believe he said that the flavors become more "complex."  To be perfectly honest I don't really know which one was better and I don't really care.  All I know is that Alex and I have found an amazing adobo recipe - one that I intend to use for years and years to come with both chicken and pork shoulder.

Recipe after the jump!



Pork Shoulder Adobo

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup rice vinegar
12 garlic cloves, peeled
1 1/2 large jalapenos, halved
3 bay leaves
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 to 4 lbs pork shoulder (cut into 1 to 2-inch chunks)
water
cilantro leaves

Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a large, nonreactive bowl or resealable plastic freezer bag. Add the pork and turn to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator overnight.

Place pork and marinade in a large lidded pot or Dutch oven.  Add enough water so that meat is almost submerged.  Heat over high heat and bring to a boil.  Immediately reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pork is cooked through and tender, around 30 minutes.

Remove lid and raise heat under the pot to medium-high, and reduce the sauce, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Serve adobo with rice and garnished with cilantro leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment