Monday, August 15, 2011

Tomato, Mozzarella & Thai Basil Crostini



I am going to dive right into this post by proclaiming this my favorite dish that we have made in the past few weeks and certainly my favorite dish this month.  The Pasta with Sun Gold Tomatoes was a close second, but I just really loved everything about this crostini.  The combination of ingredients sounds a little weird because who has ever heard of an Asian-inspired caprese salad?  Actually, I have now that I think about it.  David Chang has a recipe for a Cherry Tomato Salad in the Momofuku cookbook (see this post on Momofukufor2).  But it uses tofu instead of mozzarella and shiso instead of basil.  Moving on.  Sesame oil and rice vinegar with mozzarella?  Not to mention Thai basil?  Weird.  But so very delicious.  Be a little judicious about the amount of garlic you rub on your toast because the garlic can taste a little abrasive against the other, more delicate flavors.  I went a little heavy-handed on my first few crostinis before I realized just how much garlic I was using.  Oops.  Even so it was amazing.  I loved it.  I believe I called it "pretty F-ing fabulous."  I admit it.  Sometimes I have a potty mouth.  But sometimes a little profanity is in order.

While I am at it, I'm also going to dive right in and say that this is probably my last post of the week.  Or at least until Saturday.  And for those of you who want to know why the answer is simple.  I don't think I will be eating dinner anywhere but my desk until this weekend at the earliest.  And I haven't eaten dinner away from my desk since last Friday so I havne't been able to stock up on posts.  Posting this weekend might be a tad optimistic, but if I am not at the office I will do my best!  At least I am leaving you all with a delicious post before I disappear again.  And at least I am taking a break from working to do so?


Recipe after the jump!

Tomato, Mozzarella & Thai Basil Crostini
Bon Appetit
June 2011


INGREDIENTS:
12 slices seven-grain or sesame bread
1/2 garlic clove
2 cups (about 10 ounces) halved cherry or grape tomatoes
1 small shallot, minced
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Sliced fresh mozzarella
Thai basil leaves


Grill bread slices and rub with garlic clove.

In a bowl, combine tomatoes, shallot, sesame oil, and rice vinegar. Season with sea salt and pepper; let sit for 15 minutes.

Put sliced fresh mozzarella on toasts. Spoon tomato mixture over mozzarella and garnish with Thai basil leaves. Season with sea salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment