Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Butternut Squash and Radicchio Pasta


I wasn't going to post about this recipe because I didn't think it was particularly successful, but Alex told me that I should go ahead and post it anyway.  So here I am posting about a recipe with very little to say.  My biggest complaint with this pasta was the radicchio.  Its bitterness is totally overpowering.  In every bite that contained even the smallest speck of radicchio I couldn't taste the sweetness of the butternut squash, the saltiness of the cheese or the buttery toasted pine nuts.  Nor could I taste the sage, which I think is the perfect herb accompaniment to butternut squash.  It was just bitter.  If I were a bigger fan of radicchio I would be a much bigger fan of the dish.  If you are a fan of radicchio then you will (probably) be a bigger fan of this dish than I was.  And that's all I really have to say about that...

Recipe after the jump!


Butternut Squash and Radicchio Pasta
Adapted from Gourmet
January 2009
    INGREDIENTS:
    2 tbsp unsalted butter
    2 tbsp evoo
    1/2 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups) 
    1 large head treviso radicchio, cut into quarters lengthwise, cored and thinly sliced  package 
    6-8 oz dried pasta (we used strozzapreti)
    2 tsp fresh sage, finely chopped
    3 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
    1/4 cup coarsely grated ricotta salata or Parmigiano-Reggiano (we used a combination of the two)
      Melt butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, then continue to cook until it is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add oil and swirl together. Add squash to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and just tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add radicchio and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until wilted and just tender, about 2-3 minutes.
      Meanwhile, cook pasta in a pasta pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain pasta. Add pasta and sage to radicchio mixture with 1/4 cup cooking water and toss over low heat until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Add more cooking water to moisten if necessary.

      Serve topped with toasted pine nuts and cheese.

      No comments:

      Post a Comment