Sunday, October 30, 2011

Cumin Seed Roasted Cauliflower with Yogurt


In case you couldn't tell, I am still clearly in the midst of my cauliflower obsession.  But this is our last cauliflower dish for the week.  I think.  I try to plan out all of my meals for the week over the weekend, but I rarely stick to my plan.  Sometimes I just can't find an ingredient and end up scrapping or revamping a dish.  Sometimes I end up picking up some random ingredients that I have to cook ASAP that bump another dish off the menu.  And then sometimes work comes up and messes up my plans.  This week I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to do towards the end of the week, but everything came together really well.  I picked up a bunch of nice fish at Citarella on Tuesday and I really wanted to cook some of it.  So we had the striped bass on Tuesday and on Friday we cooked up some Salt and Pepper Salmon to go with this cauliflower.  I had originally intended for this cauliflower dish to go with a nice bowl of stracciatella soup, but since we made Smoky Shrimp, Hominy and Tortilla Soup on Thursday and I bought those nice organic salmon fillets we went with the salmon instead.

This recipe came from one of the cooking blogs that I read regularly - Smitten Kitchen.  The blog always has beautiful pictures and wonderful recipes.  This recipe was featured recently and I knew I had to make it because it incorporated a lot of flavors that I know work together well.  I really liked this cauliflower dish just like I thought I would.  It had a lot of interesting flavors that worked together very nicely.  I wouldn't say that it was my favorite cauliflower dish that we have ever made, but if I had to give it a letter grade I would give it at A-. I told Alex that this was the type of dish that if I happened to have the ingredients in the apartment (or if I happened to be at the grocery store conceptualizing dinner and picking up a few necessary things) I would be excited and happy to make it again, but I might not make a special trip to the grocery store to pick up ingredients specifically for it.  I think that make sense.  It made sense in my head.

Recipe after the jump!



Cumin Seed Roasted Cauliflower with Yogurt
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

INGREDIENTS:
2 tbsp evoo, divided
1 small head cauliflower, cut into bite sized florets
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus additional
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
3 tbsp crumbled feta
2 tbsp fresh mint leaves, chiffonaded
pomegranate seeds

Preheat oven to 425°F.  Drizzle a large baking sheet with 1 tablespoon evoo.  Toss florets with remaining evoo, cumin seeds, salt and pepper and spread out on prepared baking sheet. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, until cauliflower is tender and its edges are golden brown and caramelized.

Whisk together yogurt and feta until smooth.  Dollop on cauliflower and sprinkle with mint and pomegranate seeds.  Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment