Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sauteed Greens with Cannellini Beans


Have you ever eaten a dish that was so healthy that it left you feeling like you needed to eat a candy bar to balance it out?  This dish felt that way to me.  It was good, but just eating a gigantic plate of sauteed greens and beans left me with a serious jones for something fattening and unhealthy.  I bought a gigantic bunch of kale at the farmers' market today and decided that for lunch I would either make a soup with it or simply saute it up with some canned beans (either cannelini or garbonzo since that is all we typically have in the house).  I ended up going the saute route since it was  simpler and quicker.  I briefly considered making some quinoa and serving the sauteed veggies on top of a bed of quinoa, but I got lazy.  I wish I had because then I think the dish would have been a little more satisfying.  The flavors were good and I enjoyed the dish, it just left me wanting more - more meat, more fat, more carb, more something.  I think that adding some red onions and some quinoa would have satisfied my need for more something by adding more flavors, textures and some healthy grains.

Recipe after the jump!

Sauteed Greens with Cannellini Beans
Adapted from Bon Appetit
April 2008

INGREDIENTS:
4 tbsp evoo, divided
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 large bunch greens (such as kale or spinach, about 1 pound), thick stems removed, spinach left whole, other greens roughly cut into 1-inch strips (about 10 cups packed)
1 cup chicken broth
1 15-oz can cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
1-2 tsp Sherry wine vinegar (we used about 2)
s&p
    Heat 3 tablespoons evoo in large Le Creuset (or other heavy deep pot) over medium heat. Add garlic and dried crushed pepper; stir until garlic is pale golden and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add greens by large handfuls (stir just until beginning to wilt before adding more) tossing with tongs to coat with oil. Once all of the greens have started to wilt, add 1 cup broth, cover, and simmer until greens are just tender, adding more broth by tablespoonfuls if dry, 2 to 8 minutes, depending on type of greens (we used kale and simmered for 5-6 minutes, but if you use spinach you probably only need to simmer for 2 minutes). Add beans; simmer uncovered until beans are heated through and liquid is almost absorbed, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1-2 teaspoon vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper; drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon evoo.

    Serve.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment