Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Turkey Cutlets with Brussels Sprouts and Dried Cranberries


This dish reminds me of Thanksgiving.  If I were to cook Thanksgiving for just Alex and I, this is the type of dish I would make.  Actually, for Thanksgiving last year we were pretty elaborate and made Pan-Roasted Squab, Polenta and Broccolini.  I have a problem with making overly elaborate dishes/meals on occasion.  What I love about this dish is that it's a medley of my favorite Thanksgiving ingredients and flavors - turkey, cranberries, sage (which I love in stuffing) and brussels sprouts (which is one of my absolute favorite Thanksgiving sides).  Actually, that's not the only thing I love about this dish.  Equally important is the fact that this is a one pot meal that doesn't taste like a one pot meal.  If I didn't know better, I would think this dish had cooked longer and been more complicated.  The flavors were just so rich, nuanced and delicious.  This would be a great Thanksgiving dish, but I would definitely cook this all fall long.  It's perfectly (and wonderfully) autumnal, plus it's so easy.  It also comes together really quickly - and in one pot (bonus)!  It's a toss up for me between whether I prefer the swordfish or these turkey cutlets, but I think the turkey might win by a hair.  Alex said that he also preferred the turkey, but it wasn't quite as close a call for him.  Both were unexpectedly moist and flavorful, but this dish had the added bonus of the delicious brussels sprouts and cranberry mixture.  Yummy.

Recipe after the jump!



Turkey Cutlets with Brussels Sprouts and Dried Cranberries
Adapted from Bon Appetit
December 2009
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 to 1 1/4 pounds turkey breast cutlets 
    al-purpose flour
    3 tbsp evoo, divided (plus additional, if necessary)
    1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced (or one large shallot, thinly sliced)
    8 oz brussels sprouts, trimmed, quartered through root end if large, halved if small
    3/4 cup chicken broth
    1/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries
    2 tbsp fresh sage, finely chopped
    11/2 tsp cider vinegar (the recipe called for red wine vinegar but we were out)
    1 tbsp butter
      Sprinkle cutlets with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Sprinkle cutlets with flour, shaking off any excess. Heat 2 tbsp evoo in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add cutlets to skillet and sauté until cooked through and golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Add a little more evoo if the pan starts to look dry when you flip the cutlets. Transfer turkey to platter and tent with foil to keep warm.

      Add remaining 1 tbsp evoo to same skillet. Add onions and stir until beginning to soften and turn brown, about 1 minute. Add brussels sprouts, broth, cranberries, and sage. Cover and cook until brussels sprouts are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally (or just firmly shaking the pan), about 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Add butter; stir until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

      Spoon brussels sprouts mixture over turkey cutlets and serve.

      No comments:

      Post a Comment