Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Baby Kale Salad with Ricotta Salata

Another day, another salad.  Yay!  Actually, I had salad for lunch yesterday and today as well.  I told you I am obsessed.  That is three salads in 2 days (plus some sauteed greens with dinner last night), with different greens in each.  I came up with this salad in order to use the baby red Russian kale that I picked up at the farmers' market this weekend.  I went into 5 lbs. of Dirt to buy one thing of salad greens and ended up buying three - this kale, senposai, and some teenage lettuces (lettuce that is past the baby greens stage, but not quite adult).  I was originally planning on whipping up a new lemon vinaigrette until I remembered that I had a little bit of vinaigrette leftover from Co.'s Roasted Beet Salad with Arugula and Pepitas.   And it was exactly what I was looking for (although I did punch it up with a little extra lemon juice).  I crumbled in a little ricotta salata (also leftover from the beet salad) and voila - a perfectly light and spring-y salad.  I love the combination of lemony vinaigrette and ricotta salata, and the baby kale worked really well with both.  The baby kale was just assertive enough to stand up to it all.  I have never tried baby kale in a salad before, but I thought it was really successful.

Recipe after the jump!
Baby Kale Salad with Ricotta Salata

INGREDIENTS:
1 tbsp champagne vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice (or more to taste)
3 tbsp cup canola oil
1 tsp shallots, very finely minced
s&p
4 cups baby red Russian kale
1/4 cup crumbled ricotta salata

Combine champagne vinegar and lemon juice in a large mixing bowl.  Whisk in oil in a slow steam.  Stir in shallots and season with s&p.  Add kale and toss to coat the leaves evenly with dressing.  Top with ricotta salata.

Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment