Monday, April 30, 2012

Cucumber and Watercress Salad


I was really excited about this salad because I love playing with random simple salad ingredients (and it received very high reviews at the FoodNetwork website).  I have to say that for a number of reasons it was just ok for me.  First, I thought the dressing was a little too sweet.  I love adding a little honey to salad dressing, but this was more honey than I wanted (or needed).  Our other big problem was that our grocery store cucumber had less than no flavor (which was the fault of the cucumber and not the recipe).  It literally just tasted like water - there was no flavor to it at all.  And the watercress wasn't as peppery as some I have had, which I thought would make for a great salad, but that extra peppery flavor might have done more to balance out the sweetness of the dressing.  Overall, if the cucumber had that fresh cucumber taste that I really enjoy the salad would not have been quite as disappoinging.  It would have been a little sweet, but still tasty.  Instead I'm just going to have to settle for the salad being pretty and easy to make, but a little blah.

Recipe after the jump!




Cucumber and Watercress Salad
Available at FoodNetwork
By Tyler Florence


INGREDIENTS:
1 large cucumber, peeled and diced
1 bunch of watercress, trimmed
1/2 cup chopped parsley
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
Splash of water
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil


In a bowl, combine the cucumber, watercress and parsley.


In a separate bowl, combine the honey, vinegar, water and season. Whisk in the extra-virgin olive oil. Drizzle the dressing over the vegetables and toss to coat.



No comments:

Post a Comment