Monday, June 25, 2012

Squash Blossom and Zucchini Frittata


After the world's LONGEST absence from home-cooked meals, Alex and I finally had the opportunity to sit down and make a meal together.  Well, I made the meal while Alex tried to talk to Time Warner about our lousy internet speeds.  But that's really beside the point.  The point is, after a few weddings (one in Connecticut and one in Kentucky) and a bunch of really late nights at work, I finally got to cook something and eat it.  Yay!  So I did what I always do and wandered around the farmers' market picking up things willy-nilly until I decided on something to make.  This time I picked up some zucchini, fresh sweet corn, green beans, sun gold tomatoes (greenhouse tomatoes, but still delicious), fresh basil and parsley, cherries, peaches...  I'm really bummed that I ended up missing sugar snap peas, pea shoots and the end of fresh asparagus season due to work, but I can't be too upset that more amazing tomatoes and corn are just around the corner. 

Anyway, this frittata accomplished something that most restaurant frittatas don't - it was moist, tasty and fluffy, not dry and tasteless.  The last restaurant frittata I had was at a place on the UWS called Tarallucci E Vino.  It was one of the driest, most disappointing frittatas I have had in a long time.  It made me remember why ordering a frittata at a restaurant can be a recipe for failure.  I can only think of one frittata I have ever had that was truly satisfying and that was at Spotted Pig, where everything you order could possibly order is delicious.  The one thing that made my experience at Tarallucci e Vino one to remember was the scenery.  And by scenery I mean Matt Damon.  He's just as cute in person as he is in the movies.  To be honest I almost missed him entirely because I was too busy oogling his wife's black asymmetrical tank top.  I didn't realize it was him until I heard his voice.  And for the record, Alex's PLT (pancetta, lettuce, tomato and sunny-side egg) sandwich was pretty tasty.  While we were sitting on the couch and eating this frittata I told Alex that I would be perfectly happy to be served this frittata at any restaurant.  And I stand by that statement.  It was great.  It also made me sad about how much I miss eating at home, but I am hoping that work will slow down a little bit and I will once again be able to eat dinner at home...  Until then, I have the memories of this frittata to keep me happy.

Recipe after the jump!



Squash Blossom and Zucchini Frittata

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 tbsp butter, plus 1 tsp butter, separated
2 tsp evoo, separated
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/8 inch thick slices
1 small shallot, chopped
10 squash blossoms, 7 of them clean and thinly sliced, and 3 whole
s&p
5 eggs, plus 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 tbsp milk
1 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
3 tbsp mild fresh goat cheese crumbles (we used Coach Farms fresh goat cheese curds)
Heat 1/2 tbsp butter and 1 tsp evoo in a 8-inch, non-stick, oven-safe skillet over medium-low heat.  Add shallots.  Saute briefly until fragrant, about 30 seconds, then add zucchini.  Stir to coat zucchini in butter/evoo.  Add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper.  Saute zucchini until just tender, about3-4  minutes, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat, add sliced zucchini blossoms and stir to combine.  Remove zucchini mixture from pan with a slotted spoon.
Meanwhile, beat eggs and milk together in a bowl.  Preheat broiler.

Return the pan to the stove-top over medium heat.  Add 1 tsp butter and 1 tsp evoo to the pan used to cook squash.  It should still be coated in the oil and butter used to saute the zucchini.  Once the butter is melted, add the egg mixture and season with 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper and 1/2 tsp salt.  Gently nestle the zucchini mixture into the eggs in the pan.  Top with goat cheese and mint.  Gently place whole squash blossoms on top of the frittata.  As the egg mixture cooks it will rise up to gently cradle the squash blossoms, so don't worry about pushing the blossoms down into the egg.  Allow the frittata to cook, periodically running a spatula around the edge of the frittata, separating the frittata from the pan.  After the bottom is golden brown, and the top is beginning to set, about 6-7 minutes, remove the pan from the tove-top and place under the broiler.  Cook in broiler until top becomes golden brown, about 2 minutes.
Remove skillet from broiler.  Allow frittata to cool for 1-2 minutes, and then slide out onto a plate, slice and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment