Monday, January 7, 2013

My Mom's Fudge


Growing up this fudge was a holiday tradition in my house.  There were a few years where my mother made butter cookies around the holidays, but she made this fudge each and every single year.  I remember helping Mom wrap each individual piece of fudge in tiny little wrappers she bought specifically for that purpose - sometimes they were holiday themed, sometimes they weren't.  I don't think it needs to be said that I probably ate just as many pieces as I successfully wrapped along the way.  What I love about this fudge is that it is really easy to make and it isn't too sweet.  So many fudge recipes are so sweet that they make my teeth hurt - this one is nowhere near that sweet.  It also doesn't do the instant crazy melty thing that a lot of store-bought or homemade fudge does once you put it in your mouth.  I guess I like my fudge to be a little sweeter and a little less traditionally fudgy?  I don't know.  What I do know is that Christmas doesn't quite feel like Christmas without some of this homemade fudge in the kitchen.

Recipe after the jump!


My Mom's Fudge
INGREDIENTS:
18 oz semisweet chocolate morsels
1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
dash salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional

In heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt morsels with condensed milk. Remove from heat; stir in remaining ingredients. Spread evenly into wax paper lined 8-inch square pan. Chill 2 to 3 hours or until firm. Turn fudge onto cutting board; peel off paper and cut into squares. Store loosely covered at room temperature. (Makes about 1 3/4 pounds.)

No comments:

Post a Comment