Sunday, June 19, 2011

Olive Oil Fried Eggs with Mozzarella and Harissa


I first came across this recipe when I made a resolution back in November to make more Moroccan food.  I sat on it for awhile because I couldn't find hot pepper relish or paste.  But the other day at Kalustyans I stumbled across something labeled hot pepper paste that looked promising, so we finally got the chance to make our fried eggs.  We ate these for dinner last Wednesday (I think), but I haven't had time to post about them yet, partially because we went to Prune for dinner last Thursday night (which remains by far one of my favorite restaurants in NYC) and then headed down to Maryland for the weekend so Alex could go to the U.S. Open with his father for Father's Day (and so I could take my parents out to one of our favorite restaurants in Maryland, but more on that later).  So I will be upfront in saying that I don't remember every last detail about the dish.  What I do remember is that I really liked the harissa-sauce mixture on top of the fried eggs.  I was thinking about using that sauce in other dishes.  I will keep you posted if I do, but I think it would be nice over other egg dishes or chicken.  Speaking of eggs, ours were perfectly runny, which was really nice.  I love a nice runny egg.  My only real complaint about the dish is that I thought that the toast-to-egg ratio was off.  I think in the future I would either cut the toast thinner, or leave it thick and put two large eggs or one extra large egg on top of each large slice.  We actually used some brioche hamburger buns because they were what we had in the apartment, which worked out just fine, except that they were a little too thick and a little too large for me.  I basically liked the recipe and it was pretty good, but it needs something (aside from smaller toast pieces) to really make it shine.

Recipe after the jump!


Olive Oil Fried Eggs with Mozzarella and Harissa
Adapted from Bon Appetit
March 2006

3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 tsp purchased harissa paste from tube
2 tsp purchased hot pepper relish or paste (such as ZerGüt Hot Ajvar or Amore)
1 garlic clove, minced, plus 1 whole garlic clove, peeled
1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
4 1-inch-thick slices brioche or egg bread, lightly toasted
4 large eggs
6 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, drained, coarsely grated
1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves

Whisk 1/2 cup olive oil, harissa paste, hot pepper relish, minced garlic, lemon juice, and salt in small bowl to blend.

Rub toast slices on 1 side with peeled garlic clove, then place 2 toasts on each of 2 plates.

Heat remaining 1/4 cup olive oil in large ovenproof nonstick skillet over moderate heat. Break eggs into skillet; sprinkle lightly with salt. Cook until whites are just beginning to set but yolks are still runny, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over eggs. Cook eggs until cheese melts and whites are fully set, but yolks are still runny. Carefully place 1 egg atop each toast slice. Spoon harissa sauce over eggs. Scatter parsley leaves over and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment