Thursday, April 1, 2010

Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits


I know that I have referenced this recipe before in my post on Cheddar Biscuits, but I made a fresh batch last night and just had to share the pictures (and the recipe) with you all again.  I had a thing of buttermilk in the fridge fast approaching its expiration date and when I realized that I had all of the ingredients for these biscuits I knew I had to make a batch.  I briefly considered making this recipe for Buttermilk Biscuits with Green Onions, Black Pepper and Sea Salt from Bon Appetit, but I didn't have any self-rising flour.  Maybe next time.  As I mentioned in my previous biscuit post, these biscuits do not have an overly traditional texture to them due to the addition of the cornmeal.  The cornmeal makes the crumb a little coarser and "grittier," although not in a bad way.  They just aren't quite as tender as a traditional buttermilk biscuit should be.  Instead they are wonderfully cheesy and savory, which is a trade-off that I am willing to make.  Alex and I think they are absolutely wonderful, but that's just us.  Let me know what you think!

Recipe after the jump!



Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits
September 2004

INGREDIENTS:
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal (stone-ground)
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
6 oz (2 cups) grated extra-sharp Cheddar
3 tbsp finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
3 scallions, finely chopped
1 1/3 cup well-shaken buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F with rack is in the middle.  Butter one large baking sheet.  Whisk together dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) in a bowl.  Then blend in cubed butter with fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse meal.  Stir in cheeses and scallions with a wooden spoon.  Add buttermilk and stir until just combined.  Drop dough in 8 equal mounds about 2 inches apart on baking sheet.  Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.  Transfer to a rack and cook about 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment