Saturday, May 15, 2010

Samoa Blondies


I think I'm like everyone when I say that growing up in the suburbs, I loved Girl Scout Cookie season.  Actually, I'm all grown up now and I probably love Girl Scout Cookie season even more now than I did back then because you never run into Girl Scouts selling cookies in the city.  Until I went skiing in Colorado this past year it had been years since my last Girl Scout cookie experience.  My absolute favorite of their cookies is the Samoa, followed by the Thin Mint (who doesn't love Thin Mints)?  Alex's favorites are the Do-Si-Dos.  According to the Girl Scout Cookies website, there are all sorts of new types of cookies that I have never seen or tried before, but in this one instance, I am happy sticking to the cookies I already know and love.

I have been reading the blog Savory Sweet Life ever since I stumbled across one of their posts on Tastespotting several months ago.  When I saw their newest post today on Samoa Blondies, I knew I had to make them ASAP.  There are few things I like more than coconut, chocolate and caramel combined in one sweet and gooey little package.  Now these blondies aren't quite the same as Samoas.  For one, they lack the darker, deeper caramel of Samoas.  Also, since they're blondies instead of cookies the texture is different - more cakey and less crispy.  But with all of that said, they are really good.  They are also quite rich so you might want to cut them in smaller pieces than I did (I cut the entire 8x8 pan of blondies into 9 squares), and definitely serve them with milk.  I love coconut, so these were perfect for me, but if you're not a coconut lover you might want to stick with brownies or plain old chocolate chip cookies.  Also, if you're a Samoas purist, this isn't the recipe for you, but it sure is a great start.

Recipe after the jump!


Samoa Blondies 
Adapted from Savory Sweet Life
From The Newlywed Kitchen Cookbook

INGREDIENTS:
10 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut, lightly packed
3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

Spray an 8×8” baking dish with Pam or other nonstick cooking spray.  Line pan with parchment paper.  Make sure that the pieces of parchment paper are long enough that they hang over the edges of the pan.  This will help with easy removal of the blondies.  Spray parchment paper lightly with more Pam.

In a pan over medium-high heat, heat the butter until it browns and smells nutty.  Do not burn the butter.  Allow the butter to cool for a few moments, until just barely warm.  In a large mixing bowl, add the browned butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.  Stir to combine.  With a wooden spoon, mix in the egg, vanilla, and salt.  Slowly mix in the flour, then add the flaked coconut, and chocolate chips until blended.

Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish, and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.  Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top is lightly golden and the blondies have almost set.  The center should still be soft, but not wet.  Allow the blondies to cool before turning them out onto a cutting board and slicing into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment