Thursday, May 6, 2010

Scrambled Eggs with Cotija, Scallions and (Leftover) Avocado Corn Salsa


After we finished off the Chili-Rubbed Shrimp with Avocado Corn Cocktail, we still had about one cup of leftover Avocado Corn Salsa.  We couldn't let something that tasty go to waste, so I based my lunch around it.  Originally I was going to make some egg tacos with grilled scallions, grilled poblano peppers, cotija cheese, and salsa.  Then I got held up at work and moved on to plan B - an omelet using all of the above ingredients, minus the grilled poblanos because that would have required another trip to the grocery store.  Another hour later, I moved on to plan C - scrambled eggs.  My favorite thing about scrambled eggs is that you can throw them together in minutes, no muss, no fuss.  You can be as gourmet or ghetto with them as you want.  I would consider this version semi-gourmet, and very tasty.  And they were ready from start to finish in less than 15 minutes from when I walked in the door.  Granted, if I had had to make the avocado corn salsa from scratch it would have taken me much longer to prepare my lunch, but seeing as it was already sitting in the fridge, all I had to do was quickly chop some scallions, break some eggs, and get cooking!  It will probably take me longer to clean up the kitchen than it did to make and then eat my very yummy and very appropriate day after Cinco de Mayo lunch.

Recipe after the jump!


Scrambled Eggs with Cotija, Scallions, and (Leftover) Avocado Corn Salsa

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 tbsp butter
2 scallions, white and green parts, trimmed and finely chopped
2 egg whites, plus 1 whole large egg
1/2 tbsp skim milk
1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
kosher salt
pepper
1/4 cup cotija cheese, grated
1/2 cup Avocado Corn Salsa
sprig of cilantro to garnish (optional)

Heat a 8 inch non-stick saute pan over medium heat.  Melt butter.  Once butter has melted, add scallions.  Saute scallions until tender and fragrant, about 30 seconds-1 minute.  Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, milk, and Tabasco in a bowl.  Gently pour eggs into saute pan.  Season with s&p.  Allow eggs to set on the bottom then, using a spatula, scramble them until 2/3 of the way cooked.  Eggs should be firm, but still a little runny in places.  This should only take a minute or two.  Add cotija cheese.  Stir to combine.  Remove pan from heat.  Eggs will continue cooking (carryover cooking), so unless you really do like your eggs dry and almost brown, go ahead and remove them from the heat.

Remove eggs from pan onto a plate.  Using a spoon, create a well in the center of the eggs.  Add salsa.  Garnish with cilantro, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment