Friday, June 4, 2010

Sweet and Sour Radicchio


Who knew radicchio could be used in so many ways? In the past few weeks I have grilled it, tossed it raw in a salad, and now I have sauteed radicchio into a Sicilian-style agrodolce. I was a little nervous that the sweet and sour would be a little too sweet because of the sugar and the raisins, in addition to the apple cider vinegar which is fairly sweet in and of itself, but I really liked it. I served the radicchio with some spaetzle (not pictured here) that I tossed lightly in evoo and freshly ground black pepper.  I originally thought about tossing it with fregola or Israeli couscous, but somehow serving it with the spaetzle seemed like a better idea.  It was a wonderful combination.  I don't think I could eat a huge bowl of this radicchio, but it makes a very nice side dish.  In the future I think I will pair it with a simple herb roasted pork tenderloin and more spaetzle.  If you can't tell, I really liked the pairing of radicchio and spaetzle!  I think that spaetzle held up better than orzo pasta would have, and was really nice both on its own and when mixed with some of the radicchio.  Also, the spaetzle (due to the fact that it's egg-based) has the richness to cut the sweet and sour sauce that the radicchio was tossed in.

Recipe after the jump!


Sweet and Sour Radicchio
Adapted from Bon Appetit
November 2003

1 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tablespoons evoo
1/2 of a large yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 large heads of radicchio, cored and whole head cut into 8 wedges (half head cut into 4 wedges)
1/4 cup raisins
1 tsp salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted

Melt butter with oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add onion and sugar.  Saute until onion is lightly browned, about 7 minutes.  Add vinegar.  Stir to blend.  Add radicchio, raisins, salt, and pepper.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until radicchio is just wilted, about 5 minutes.  

Transfer to serving dish.  Sprinkle with pine nuts and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment