Saturday, June 19, 2010

Tuna Salad with Cannellini Beans


Sometimes on the weekend Alex and I run out of inspiration when it comes to making lunch.  So we end up going out to lunch a lot.  That would be ok, except that we end up going out to dinner a lot on the weekend too.  So after awhile going out to lunch all the time on the weekend begins to take its toll on our wallet (and our waistlines).  We were talking about going out to lunch again today (and struggling to pick a restaurant) when I decided that since we are meeting friends for dinner tonight, we should just forage in the fridge for lunch.  Alex ended up eating leftovers and I ended up with this tuna salad.  It was either that, or boxed mac n cheese.  I think I made the right choice with the tuna.

Initially I was thinking about making tuna tartines, but the bread we used for our radish crostini and the merguez sausage sandwiches last night (which I haven't posted about yet, but I promise to do it sometime today) was a little stale.  So I decided to just serve the salad as is.  If I had any arugula in the fridge I would have served this tuna salad atop a bed of arugula and made an actual salad out of it all.  I guess you could say that this tuna salad is vaguely Italian with its combination of basil, parsley, lemon, evoo, and just a touch of balsamic.  All I know is that not only did I like the tuna salad, but Alex, who has long professed a hatred of all things tuna fish, tried it (after some admitted bullying on my part) and he actually liked it.  Boo-yah!  So it has to be pretty good, right?

Recipe after the jump!

Tuna Salad with Cannellini Beans

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
19 oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 5 oz. cans tuna packed in olive oil, drained
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1/4 cup basil, finely chopped
2 tbsp evoo
1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt

Combine onions, beans, and tuna in a large bowl.  Stir to combine.  Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, basil, evoo, vinegar, s&p.  Gently stir to combine without breaking up the tuna too much.  Taste.  If the salad needs more acid, add a little more lemon juice.  If the salad seems a little dry, add a little more evoo.  If the flavors aren't really coming together, add a little more salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment