Monday, November 22, 2010

Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Potatoes with Bacon


So Alex felt the need to point out to me today that that brussels sprouts are spelled like the city of Brussels, with an "s," and not brussel sprouts.  And I of course responded that I knew that and that I always spelled them "B-R-U-S-S-E-L-S" sprouts, to which he pointed out about a zillion instances in which I called them "brussels sprouts" and "brussel sprouts" interchangably in the same post.  Oops.  Apparently I am terribly inconsistent.  But I will do my best to be more consistent in this post.  And I am creating this post with a caveat - I made these brussels sprouts two weeks ago before work got absolutely crazy (and by crazy I mean I haven't been able to leave the office before 10 pm to midnight in over a week and therefore have not eaten a single meal at home since last Sunday, let alone cooked one) and am only getting around to posting about them now because I have a brief moment of calm and sanity.

If you can't tell, I love brussels sprouts.  They are fantastic.  This might not be my favorite variation on brussels sprouts, but it was a good one.  Who can resist bacon and crispy roasted potatoes served with nutty roasted brussels sprouts?  By itself the dish makes a perfectly hearty meal for two people, or would be a nice side for a family of four. 

Recipe after the jump!

Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Potatoes with Bacon

Ingredients
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 pound sliced bacon, cut into 1/4-inch thick lardons 
1 small red onion, diced
1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
8 baby Yukon gold potatoes, quartered
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 lemon, juiced


Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.


Heat cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 3-4 minutes depending on the thickness of your bacon. Remove the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels with a slotted spoon. Add the shallots to the pan and cook until soft. Add the brussels sprouts and potatoes and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven until the vegetables are cooked through and golden brown, about 25 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the oven and stir in the butter and lemon juice. Add bacon just before serving and toss to combine.

Serve.





No comments:

Post a Comment