Monday, November 8, 2010

Spiced Pumpkin Bread with Bittersweet Chocolate Chips and Walnuts


So I have been sitting on this post for some time, partially because I have been so freaking busy, and partially because I already have a few other pumpkin bread recipes on the blog so I was in no hurry to post this one.  But Alex was basically obsessed with this pumpkin bread, as were his coworkers when he brought it in to work one day.  So I had to post it.  I baked two loaves of pumpkin bread because Alex wanted his loaf with semisweet chocolate chips and no walnuts, whereas I wanted bittersweet chocolate chips and lots of walnuts.  And since I was the one who baked the bread, I am posting my favorite of the two loaves, both of which used the same basic recipe.  Oh, but I was too excited to try my loaf, so I cut into it before I could take pictures.  Oops.  So the picture above is of Alex's loaf with the semi-sweet chocolate chps and no walnutsIf you want to mix it up with the chocolate chips and/or nuts (or omit both entirely), you can easily do so.  But the bread is very moist and the crumb is almost luscious and fluffy.  I think the combination of sour cream and pumpkin puree, along with the spices really make the bread fun and different.

Recipe after the jump!

Spiced Pumpkin Bread with Bittersweet Chocolate Chips and Walnuts

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 eggs
2 cups pumpkin puree
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup bittersweet (or semisweet) chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray two loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.

Sift together flours, salt, baking soda, and spices in a medium mixing bowl.  Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together eggs, pumpkin puree, and oil until combined.  Add sugar and cream together over medium speed.  Slowly add dry ingredients and mix together until just combined.  Do not overmix.  Fold in sour cream, walnuts, and chocolate chips.  Pour batter into prepared baking pans.

Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of each loaf of bread comes out clean, about 60 minutes.  Allow to cool completely.

Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment