Thursday, March 24, 2011

Chickpea Salad with Lemon, Parmesan and Fresh Herbs



Strangely enough when I was flipping through the April issue of Bon Appetit, this was the first recipe that caught my eye.  I say strangely enough because there are all sorts of exotic and delicious-sounding recipes in there.  Why in the word did I immediately focus on a simple chickpea salad?  To be perfectly honest, I have no idea.  I love chickpeas.  And I love basil.  It just seemed like the perfect easy lunch.  I decided that rather than just serving the chickpeas, I would serve the salad atop a bed of baby arugula.  For my portion I also threw on a nice tuna fillet but Alex is not a fan of tuna fish so that is his tuna-less bowl pictured above.  The dressing for this salad contains the exact same flavor profile as the Lemon Fettucine with Slow Roasted Cherry Tomatoes, and yet I found this salad to be deliciously bright and fresh, whereas I found the sauce for the pasta to be harsh and overpowering.  I think it all comes down to the proportions of the lemon juice with the evoo.  Here there was close to the same amount of lemon juice and evoo.  In the pasta there was a substantially greater amount of lemon juice than evoo.  We also used a better quality evoo in this salad than in the pasta and that definitely made a difference.

Recipe after the jump!


Chickpea Salad with Lemon, Parmesan and Fresh Herbs
April 2011

INGREDIENTS:
1 15-to 15 1/2-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed, drained
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 small garlic clove, pressed (I finely minced my garlic)
1/3 cup (packed) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Coarse kosher salt

Combine rinsed and drained chickpeas, chopped fresh basil, chopped Italian parsley, fresh lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, and pressed garlic clove in medium bowl. Add grated Parmesan cheese and toss gently to blend all ingredients thoroughly. Season chickpea salad to taste with coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment