Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Seared Tuna with Green Onion-Wasabi Sauce


I went on a grocery shopping spree the other day at Fairway and on a whim ended up popping into Citarella to see what they had at their fish counter because I have been craving fish recently.  I have this halibut recipe that I have been wanting to try, but after I saw the ahi tuna loin the Citarella fishmonger was handling I had to buy it.  I don't cook tuna often at home because it's kind of pricey and you can't be cheap about it because you really need to get high quality tuna to be able to sear it lightly and leave it raw in the center, but every once in awhile you just have to indulge.  And while it wasn't cheap by any means, the tuna at Citarella was actually cheaper than the organic Scottish salmon and various types of sea bass.  There were a few different seared tuna recipes that I considered making (including a recipe for Seared Tuna with Olive-Tapenade Vinaigrette and Arugula, and another for African Adobo-Rubbed Tuna Steaks), but ended up with this one because it was the only recipe I found where we already had everything.  I just couldn't deal with going to the grocery store again.  Both of my standard seared tuna recipes were out of the question because of missing ingredients and I really wanted something quick and easy.

This recipe was good, but not my favorite seared tuna recipe.  The sauce was both too watery and too harsh at the same time.  Every once in awhile you would get this sinus-searing burst of horseradish.  And then the next bite would be bland and watery.  I liked the combination of the seared tuna and the cucumber.  I served the tuna with some forbidden black rice because I thought the nuttiness of the rice would provide a good foil to the fish.  Overall the dish wasn't a failure, but it wasn't a smashing success either.  Next time I will probably revert back to one of my go-to seared tuna recipes.

Recipe after the jump!


Seared Tuna with Green Onion-Wasabi Sauce
Adapted from Bon Appetit
June 1998

INGREDIENTS:
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp wasabi powder (horseradish powder)
3 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp peanut oil
1/2 tbsp dry Sherry
1 tsp oriental sesame oil
1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 scallions, white and green parts, very thinly sliced
1 12 oz sushi grade ahi tuna steak, or 2 6-oz steaks (about 1 inch thick)
s&p
3 tbsp lightly toasted sesame seeds
1 English cucumber, thinly sliced on the bias

Whisk water and wasabi powder in bowl to form smooth paste. Whisk in soy sauce, 1 tbsp peanut oil, Sherry, sesame oil and ginger. Stir in green onions. Set aside.

Sprinkle tuna with s&p and sesame seeds. Pat to help adhere. Heat remaining 1 tbsp peanut oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add tuna and sear until opaque in center, about 1-2 minutes per side for rare to medium-rare tuna.  Remove tuna from a pan and allow to rest on a cutting board before slicing on the bias.

Arrange cucumber to form a bed in center of plates or serving platter. Top with slices of seared tuna. Garnish with sauce.

Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment