Sunday, May 29, 2011

Thai Cucumber Salad with Roasted Peanuts


I was looking for another random Thai vegetable side dish and came up with this recipe.  At first I was a little worried at first that it would be too similar to the Tomato, Cucumber and Red Onion Salad with Mint, but after reading the ingredients I decided it was different enough.  Both recipes have cucumbers, fresh mint and red onion, but the dressings were completely different.  I'm not sure which one I preferred, but Alex said he might have preferred this Thai Cucumber Salad with Roasted Peanuts to the more Greek-inspired recipe.  I think I agree with him because I love the combination of fish sauce, lime juice and sugar.  It beats red wine vinegar any day.  Both recipes are fresh, light and summery.  This one is a little spicy, a little funky from the fish sauce and a whole lot tasty.  I love the addition of the salted roasted peanuts for texture (and flavor). 

Recipe after the jump!


Thai Cucumber Salad with Roasted Peanuts
August 2001

INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)*
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeño chili (about 1 large)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 English hothouse cucumbers, halved, seeded, thinly sliced
3/4 cup sliced red onion (I accidentally diced mine rather than slicing)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
3 tablespoons coarsely chopped lightly salted roasted peanuts

Whisk first 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Place cucumbers, onion, and mint in large bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with peanuts and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment