Monday, May 2, 2011

Tomato and Bufala Mozzarella Tart


This dish is something that I have been waiting to make for some time now.  I'm not really sure why it took me so long.  A restaurant called Recipe on the UWS serves a Tomato and Buffalo Mozzarella Tart (with basil pistou, brioche and grape tomatoes) that gave me the idea for this tart.  Actually, I have never even tried their version of the tart, but everytime I go I want to order it (and somehow end up ordering other things instead).  Last night I finally decided to go ahead and make a tart, but then I couldn't decide whether I wanted to make an asparagus and gruyere tart, or a tomato mozzarella tart like Recipe's.  After some consideration, I decided that I was feeling more tomato mozzarella than asparagus (which makes sense considering I  pounded my way through an entire bunch of asparagus on Friday).  Aside from defrosting the puff pastry, this entire dish comes together very quickly.  And if you just take the puff pastry out of the freezer and throw it in the fridge the night before or the morning of, the defrosting is a snap.

I liked the tart.  I didn't love it.  Alex and I both thought that it was good, but it was missing something.  I liked how the bufala mozzarella melted and oozed down over the tomatoes.  It was deliciously creamy.  In the future I might add a little finely minced garlic on top of the tomatoes for another layer of flavor.  Or instead of bufala mozzarella I might try some goat cheese for a different flavor and texture.  Or maybe I would smear a thin layer of ricotta or something on the puff pastry before baking.  Alternatively, I could try out a different type of crust and see how that affects the recipe.  I will have to think about it for a little bit.  In the interim, I would consider this recipe as satisfactory, but needs improvement.

Recipe after the jump!


Tomato and Bufala Mozzarella Tart

INGREDIENTS:
1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted
evoo
2 tbsp Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
s&p
3 tbsp basil leaves, julienned
1 ball bufala mozzarella


Preheat oven to 425.


Unfold puff pastry on a rimmed baking sheet.  Using a sharp knife, score a 1/2-inch border around the edge of the puff pastry.  Prick the pastry inside the border with a fork thoroughly (this will prevent the puff pastry from rising in the center).  Drizzle 1 tsp evoo on the puff pastry inside the border and distribute evenly using a pastry brush.  Sprinkle with parm-reg.  Place tomatoes side-by-side inside the border (overlapping slightly if necessary).  Brush tomato lightly with evoo and season with s&p.  Scatter 2 tbsp of julienned basil across the tomatoes.


Bake until crust is golden brown, about 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and transfer to cutting board.  Allow to cool for 5 minutes.  Using your hands, tear mozzarella into chunks and scatter on top of the tomatoes.  Top with remaining tbsp fresh basil.


Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment