Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Korean-Style Napa Cabbage


So I got the idea for this recipe from the Korean-Style Romaine that I first made back in February 2010.  We liked the romaine so much that we have made it several times, playing with the recipe a little each time.  I keep thinking that I should turn the Korean-Style Romaine into a full entree salad with some shrimp, some sort of crunchy fried noodle, and maybe some grated carrot and shaved red onions.  But we never get around to it because I have so many recipes that I want to try.  To be perfectly honest, there are a ton of recipes that we have made for the blog (and loved) but have yet to make again because I get a little ridiculous about trying new things.  I have hundreds of recipes that I have bookmarked to make for the blog and for the most part I can't resist cooking and tasting new recipes.  There are recipes like our Roast Asparagus, Spicy "Fried" Chicken Cutlets, and Alex's Roast Chicken Breasts that we make all the time with a few modifications here and there, but those recipes are few and far between.  Mostly we make something once and don't revisit it again (if at all) for a really long time.  Anyway, I was pretty excited that we built off the Korean-Style Romaine to make this napa cabbage dish because I thought the cabbage was really yummy.  The flavor of the sesame, garlic, ginger and the chili flakes is light and fresh, but really savory at the same time.  I wish we had some scallions to throw in with the cabbage.  If so, I would have thinly sliced some on the bias and tossed them in for some mild oniony flavor.  But even without the scallions I thought the cabbage was very successful.

Recipe after the jump!



Korean-Style Napa Cabbage

INGREDIENTS:
1 head napa cabbage, cored and sliced as thinly as possible
3 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp garlic, minced
1 tbsp ginger, peeled and minced
1/2 tsp Korean red pepper flakes
2 tbsp tamari soy
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds

Rinse napa cabbage and spin dry.  You want a little moisture remaining on the leaves, but you don't want it soaking wet.  Place cabbage in a large mixing bowl.  Set aside.

Heat a saute pan over medium heat.  Add sesame oil and vegetable oil.  Once oil is warm, add garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes.  Saute, stirring, until fragrant, about 20-30 seconds.  Add soy sauce and cider vinegar.  Stir to combine.  Pour hot dressing over cabbage.  Toss to combine.  Set aside to allow flavors to marry at room temperature for at least 15 minutes.

Top with sesame seeds and season to taste with salt, if necessary.  Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment