Saturday, June 25, 2011

Black Market Bistro


 
Back in high school my best friend's family introduced me to a restaurant in Bethesda, Maryland called Black's Bar and Kitchen.  I loved it so much I took my family and we have been going there ever since.  Sometime when I was in college (or not too long after I graduated), the owners of Black's opened up two additional restaurants in Maryland and DC - Black Market Bistro and Black Salt.  For Father's Day I decided to take my parents to Black Market for dinner.  The last time we went there was back in 2005-2006, before I moved to NYC and I wanted to see if it was as good as I remembered.  The last time we went, the dish I remembered loving the most was their New Orleans style shrimp and grits.  I had never heard of shrimp and grits before I went to UNC, but I love them now.  And man did Black Market make an awesome version.  It was just as good as I remembered - creamy, cheesy corn and cheddar grits topped with perfectly cooked and seasoned shrimp and some sauteed veggies.  I couldn't tell if the greens were collards, or something else, but they were nice.  My dad ordered the seared sea scallops special and my mom ordered the Addie's Mussels.  They each had gazpacho for their starter and I tried the wax bean salad (also a special).  Everything we ordered was perfectly cooked and seasoned - the mussels were tender, the shrimp was flavorful and the scallops were meaty and sweet.  I absolutely love this restaurant.  The food is so good - homey, but ten thousand times better than anything you could ever make at home, unless you were a four star chef.  I loved it.  I would kill for a restaurant like that here in NYC.

More pictures after the jump!






 



No comments:

Post a Comment