Sunday, June 12, 2011

Stir-Fried Eggs with Cellophane Noodles


So I had a few bites of these eggs and told Alex that I found this dish "surprisingly delicious."  Alex took issue with my use of surprising.  He didn't think it was surprising that the eggs were delicious.  But there were so few ingredients - eggs, cellophane noodles (and who has ever heard of tossing cellophane noodles in with scrambled eggs), fish sauce, lime juice, shallots, scallions, etc.  I don't know why but I had this idea in my head that it would be good, but not amazing - an easy satisfying lunch that wouldn't blow anyone's socks off.  I was totally wrong.  And I like to think that I am pretty honest about it when I am wrong about a recipe.  I found the recipe in Hot Sour Salty Sweet, which designates the recipe as Laotian or Thai.  I have to admit that if the recipe wasn't in one of the cookbooks that we have had such success with, I probably wouldn't have looked twice at it and I certainly wouldn't have bookmarked it for the blog.  One of the best things about the dish was that you could taste every ingredient in every bite, and every ingredient worked so well in the dish.  It was light and flavorful, but totally delicious.  And it was incredibly easy to make.

Alex said that if all brunch dishes tasted like this, he would actually like brunch.  I love brunch, but I thought this dish was pretty freaking amazing.  It is my favorite dish that I have made in the past few weeks.

Recipe after the jump!

Stir-Fried Eggs with Cellophane Noodles
Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet
By Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid

INGREDIENTS:
1 bundle (about 1 oz) dried cellophane noodles, soaked in warm water for 20 minutes, drained, and cut into approximately 2-inch lengths1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp lime juice
1/4 tsp dried red chili flakes, or more to taste
3 large eggs
1/4 tsp salt
freshly ground white or black pepper 2 tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
1/4 cup shallots, chopped
3 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced on the bias
cilantro, for garnish

Bring a pot of salted water to boil.  Simmer cellophane noodles for 30 seconds and drain.  Rinse with cold water and drain again.  Place noodles in a bowl.

In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, lime juice, and chili flakes.  Pour sauce over the noodles, toss, and set aside.

Whisk eggs together in a mixing bowl with s&p.  Set aside. 

Heat a wok over high heat.  Add oil and swirl to coat.  Add shallots and stir-fry until softened and starting to change color, about 45 seconds.  Add scallions and stir-fry for 15 seconds.  Pour in eggs and tilt wok to spread the eggs around the wok.  As the eggs begin to set, use a spatula to lift up one section and flip it towards the center.  Tilt the wok to make egg flow onto the newly exposed surface of the wok.  Repeat until eggs are beginning to set, about 1 minute.  Add noodles.  Toss and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until well-combined.

Serve eggs garnished with cilantro.

Whisk eggs together in a bowl with s&p.  Set aside.  

1 comment: