Thursday, July 7, 2011

Lacinato Kale and Ricotta Salata Salad


I know this salad sounds a little weird.  Who eats raw kale?  I actually had a conversation with one of my friends the other day about someone liking kale so much they actually eat it raw.  But I have been wanting to make this recipe for a long time for a variety of reasons.  First and foremost - the recipe is inspired by a dish from Lupa, which is one of my favorite Mario Batali restaurants.  And I have a huge amount of faith in anything that is in any way related to a Batali recipe.  Second, I have never tried Tuscan kale before (also known as lacinato kale).  I saw it at the farmers' market and it looked so pretty (which tends to be my justification for buying all sorts of ingredients at the farmers' market).  I actually had two different kale salad recipes in mind when I bought the kale, so I bought two bunches.  So stay tuned for another kale recipe this weekend.  I'm not really sure what to say about this recipe.  I thought it was good.  I would make it again because it's really different and it's really easy to make.  Alex and I both thought it was missing something, but neither one of us could identify what was lacking.  I said that maybe we needed to add more lemon juice or some crushed red pepper flakes to the dressing, but I'm not sure that's it.  Once I try out my other kale salad recipe I might have a better idea what is missing, but until then I honestly just don't know. 

Recipe after the jump!
 
Lacinato Kale and Ricotta Salata Salad
January 2007

INGREDIENTS:
3/4 to 1 pound lacinato kale (also called Tuscan kale) or tender regular kale, stems and center ribs discarded
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 ounces coarsely grated ricotta salata (1 cup)

Working in batches, cut kale crosswise into very thin slices.

Whisk together shallot, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, then add oil in a slow stream, whisking until combined well.

Toss kale and ricotta salata in a large bowl with enough dressing to coat well, then season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment