Saturday, July 30, 2011

Scrambled Eggs with Chives and Ricotta


I have been making different versions of this dish since I first discovered adding chives to scrambled eggs back in high school.  I was over at one of my friends' houses after school and she made us scrambled eggs for an after school snack and tossed in some chives.  I'm not even sure I knew what chives were at that point in time, but I loved them.  Prior to that the only thing I had ever added to scrambled eggs was sauteed onions (my dad is firmly of the belief that you can never have too many onions in your eggs).  I had never cooked my scrambled eggs in butter prior to that either, but I totally stole that from her as well. After that I started stocking jars of dried chives and packets of frozen chives in the kitchen, both of which work in a pinch, but I really recommend using fresh chives whenever possible.  Anyway, the dairy I use in this dish varies.  Sometimes I use ricotta, sometimes I throw in a tablespoon of heavy cream in my eggs and add a pinch of Parmigiano-Regiano, sometimes I use creme fraiche.  But I always use some sort of dairy because I really like the creaminess that a bit of dairy adds to scrambled eggs.  I also love serving some nice toasted bread (baguette is my personal favorite, but we used ciabatta this time) with my eggs.  So go ahead and play with it - but definitely try the chives because they are fantastic.

Recipe after the jump!
 

Scrambled Eggs with Chives and Ricotta 

INGREDIENTS:
4 large eggs
1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
1/4 tsp sea salt, plus additional for sprinkling
freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp butter
1/4 cup ricotta cheese
toasted baguette or ciabatta

Whisk eggs, chives, sea salt and a pepper in medium bowl.  Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.  Add eggs and stir with a spatula until eggs are almost cooked but still runny in parts, about 2 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Add ricotta and stir just until incorporated.  You want the eggs to remain soft and the ricotta to be loosely incorporated.

Serve scrambled eggs with toasted bread slices.  Sprinkle with more sea salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment