Monday, July 4, 2011

Squash Blossom Quesadillas


Along with the snow pea shoots I picked up at the farmers' market yesterday, I grabbed some beautiful squash blossoms.  The few months out of the year when squash blossoms are available I tend to make frittatas with them.  We have tried sauteing them with baby zucchini (not good enough to merit a post) and breading them and "frying" them in the oven (good but not great).  So when I picked up the squash blossoms I was originally contemplating making a frittata with mint or basil and some creamy cheese.  But once I got home and started thinking about it, I changed directions.  I started thinking that the way to go might be quesadillas instead of a frittata.  When I Googled "squash blossom quesadillas" I kept coming across references to recipes using grilled poblano peppers and epazote.  I didn't have any epazote, but I figured I could substitute cilantro instead.  Since literally every recipe I came across called for poblano peppers and I needed to go to the grocery store anyway, I decided it was worth picking up at the store.  So after a crazy work out session (remind me that pilates followed by a really hard spinning class - perhaps the hardest spinning class I have ever taken - is completely nuts), I ran to the grocery store and picked up my poblanos, tortillas and Monterrey Jack cheese.  And then we came home and made lunch.

Quesadillas aren't exactly traditional Fourth of July fare, but they are delicious.  And these were no exception.  We served the quesadillas with homemade pico de gallo (a combination of Roma tomatoes, sweet onion, garlic, cilantro, jalapeno, salt and lime juice).  It was a wonderful meal.  The squash blossoms taste faintly like zucchini and their inherent delicacy makes the quesadillas feel that much lighter.  Yum.  I love summer.

Recipe after the jump!


Squash Blossom Quesadillas

INGREDIENTS:
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium sweet onion, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced (we used one extra large clove)
1 poblano pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, and diced
12 individual fresh squash blossoms
½ cup chicken stock
3 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
s&p
4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
3/4 cup Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded

Heat a large sauté pan with a little oil and saute the onion, garlic, and the roasted poblano pepper for 5 minutes, until the onions have become translucent. Add the squash blossoms and deglaze with chicken stock. Add the cilantro, and cook until squash blossoms have wilted, about 3-4 minutes. Season with s&p, and set aside to cool. 

Heat a griddle or nonstick pan over medium heat. Add 1 tsp of vegetable oil. To compose the quesadillas lay 2 of the tortillas on a flat surface. Distribute the cheese equally on both tortillas, reserving about 2 tbsp cheese. Then, spread half of the squash blossom filling over the cheese. Top with remaining cheese. Cover with the other tortilla, place on heated griddle on nonstick saute pan, and cook until golden brown on both sides and cheese has melted, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside to cool for 3-4 minutes. 

Cut into quarters and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment