Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Migas


    I honestly couldn't tell you when and where I first had migas.  I remember having a rather excellent version of chilaquiles, which are somewhat similar to migas, out in San Francisco, but I honestly don't have a clue where I had migas for the first time.  I have never been to Austin, Texas where I hear they serve migas almost everywhere.  What I can tell you is that the last time I had migas they were fairly mediocre and to cap it all off, I got an excellent case of food poisoning.  Awesome.  But clearly it wasn't bad enough to dissuade me from making migas at home. The food poisoning might have actually incentivized me to make my migas at home so as to avoid any future bouts with migas-induced food poisoning at that particular restaurant, which is the only restaurant I know of near my apartment that serves migas.

    My favorite thing about migas is the variety of flavors and textures.  Different versions have a different blend of veggies and other ingredients.  I know I have seen some versions served with salsa, some that include the veggie-equivalent of a pico de gallo, and others that are chunkier and more rustic.  I decided to use up what we had in the fridge in our migas - corn tortillas, fresh chorizo, red bell pepper, onion, half of a jalapeno, cotija cheese and cilantro.  We had a jar of salsa in the refrigerator (which would have been an easier approach than chopping up and sauteeing all of the fresh veggies), but what fun is that?  We didn't have any avocado, otherwise I might have served some of that on the side.  I briefly considered adding tomatoes (which I believe is traditional), but I didn't want to add anything that would make the dish watery.  As for the chorizo, I have never had a version of migas with chorizo in it before but the flavor profiles seemed to work in my head so I decided to go for it.  I'm not sure if it is traditional or not.  Regardless of tradition, my migas were delicious.  They were hearty and flavorful.  And the homemade crispy corn tortillas were delicious.  I think that traditionally you toss all of the crispy tortillas in with the eggs as you cook them so they can soak up the juices and flavors of the migas, but in my mind that defeated the  purpose of crisping them up in the first place.  I wanted some of them to remain extra crispy.  So I threw half of them in and reserved the other half to be served with the migas.  It was an excellent idea if I do say so myself.  And I really liked the blend of textures and flavors with the fresh veggies - the bell peppers stayed somewhat crisp and sweet, the onions mellowed and softenened and the jalapeno gave it all some kick.  It was really good - good enough that I might have to go to Austin to try some authentic migas and see how mine stack up.

    Recipe after the jump!

    Migas

    INGREDIENTS:
    3-4 tbsp peanut oil 
    6 corn tortillas, cut in half and then into strips
    salt
    2 links of fresh chorizo sausage, removed from casing
    half of a medium red onion, diced
    half of a red bell pepper, diced
    half of a large jalapeno, minced
    8 large eggs
    2 tbsp milk
    1/2 cup cotija cheese, crumbled
    2-3 tbsp cilantro

    Add enough peanut oil to a large cast iron skillet to pan fry the tortillas.  Heat over moderately high heat.  Once the oil is hot, add only enough tortilla strips to the pan that fit in a single layer.  Pan fry tortilla strips until crispy and light golden.  Remove tortilla strips from pan using a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate.  Season with salt.  Repeat with remaining tortilla strips.

    Pour out almost all of the oil.  Reduce heat to medium.  Add chorizo and break up with the slotted spoon.  Brown the chorizo, stirring occasionally to break it up, about 2 minutes.  Once chorizo is is no longer pink, add onion, bell pepper and jalapeno.  Saute, stirring, until the chorizo is cooked through and the vegetables have begun to soften, about 3-4 minutes.  Beat together eggs and milk in a large mixing bowl.  Season with salt.  Add egg mixture and cook, stirring frequently, until just beginning to set.  Add crumbled cotija cheese and stir.  Add half of the crispy tortillas.  Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until set but still moist, 1-2 minutes. 

    Scatter remaining crispy tortilla strips over a platter or separate plates.  Spoon egg mixture on top.  Garnish with cilantro.
    Serve.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment