Sunday, September 4, 2011

Spicy "Korean" Corn Salad


I have no idea if Koreans eat corn.  Corn turns up in various Southeast Asian cuisines and I know that I ate plenty of grilled corn in China, but I have never seen or heard of a Korean corn dish.  But since we are still working on using up our accidental corn bounty, I thought we could cook up some kernels and toss in Korean red chili flakes, scallions, sesame oil and soy and come up with a nice easy side dish for our Korean Spicy Chicken Barbecue.  I wasn't going to bother blogging about it, but Alex told me that it was good enough that I should go ahead and document it on the blog.  So I am going to apologize in advance for not having exact measurements for the ingredients.  I kind of threw it all together to taste.  But sometimes that is the best way to come up with a new recipe - a pinch of this, a little of that and just see what happens.  With a few pinches of Korean chili flakes, a dash of soy, a handful of scallions and a splash of sesame oil you end up with a very flavorful side dish.

Recipe after the jump!


Spicy "Korean" Corn Salad

INGREDIENTS:
1 tbsp vegetable oil
kernels from 3 ears of corn
2 tbsp water
1/2-1 tsp Korean red chili flakes (or to taste)
1 tsp soy
1 tsp rice vinegar
3 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced on the bias
salt
2 tsp sesame oil

Heat oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.  Add corn kernels.  Add Korean chili flakes, soy, rice vinegar and water.  Saute, stirring frequently, until corn begins to soften, about 5 minutes.  If the pan starts to look dry, add more water, a tbsp at a time.  Add scallions (reserving some for garnish) and season with salt.  Stir to combine.  Add sesame oil, stir, and remove from heat.

Garnish with reserved scallions and a sprinkle of Korean chili flakes.  Serve.

1 comment:

  1. thank you for sharing this recipes

    i really loved it

    for more salad recipes

    visit us

    Salad Recipes

    ReplyDelete