Friday, January 1, 2010

Cranberry Ketchup


Ever since I tried cranberry ketchup that was served with a tourtiere (a traditional Quebecois meat pie) from Hugue Dufour (formerly of Quebec's infamous Au Pied de Cochon) on Christmas Eve, I have been dying to try to make some cranberry ketchup.  Unfortunately, I have no idea how to can or preserve things so that deterred me for a little while.  Well, it deterred me for about a week.  Then I saw the bags of fresh cranberries at my grocery store and decided to just go for it.  So this morning I did some research, found some recipes to base my own cranberry ketchup off of and made myself a cranberry ketchup.

The cranberry ketchup served with the tourtiere was sweet, but still a little tart and had a slight kick to it.  It also tasted of allspice.  So I kept all of that in mind as I tried to design my own version.  I have to say that I am quite pleased with the results.  So right now I am planning a turkey meatloaf for tomorrow to serve with my cranberry ketchup.  And later in the week I want to try to make a Vietnamese Pate Chaud (a traditional Vietnamese meat turnover wrapped in puff pastry) to try with it.  Served with the tourtiere, the tartness of the cranberry ketchup cut the rich meatiness of the pie beautifully.  If the ketchup goes half as well with the pate chauds as it did with the tourtiere, then I will be a very happy cook.  This might be the beginning of a beautiful holiday tradition!

Recipe after the jump!







Cranberry Ketchup


12 oz bag of fresh cranberries (roughly 2 cups)
1 cup diced red onion
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (or distilled white vinegar)
1 cup light brown sugar
2 tbsp tomato paste 
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper (or black pepper)


Boil water in medium saucepan.  Add cranberries and onions.  Reduce heat to medium and cook until onions soften and cranberries burst.  Using a handheld immersion blender (or if you don't have one, a food processor or blender will work) puree until mixture is smooth.  Return pan to medium heat.  Add vinegar, brown sugar, tomato paste, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and red pepper flakes to mixture.  Simmer uncovered for about 25 minutes, or until ketchup thickens, stirring occasionally.  Season with s&p to taste.


Allow to cool completely, and refrigerate before serving.  If you know how to can and have the appropriate canning equipment, go for it.  However, I used the glass jar the original cranberry ketchup came in (cleaned) and some tupperware to store the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment