Thursday, January 7, 2010

Roman Egg Drop Soup (Stracciatella alla Romana)


So after a nice break for the holidays, work has gotten CRAZY again, which means that I have far less time for cooking than I would like.  It also means that I am going a little stir-crazy.  Tonight was laundry night and the puppy kept trying to steal my socks, so I decided the obvious response was to make him wear the socks.  And a tshirt.  Strangely enough, he seemed to like it.  But that's entirely beside the point.  

Being so crazy busy also means that I am falling back on my roster of quick and easy weeknight meals, plus some judiciously ordered takeout, in order to survive.  So I apologize in advance if I don't get around to posting as much as I have been for the past few weeks in the weeks to come.  I guess I could always lock myself in the kitchen all weekend, but I think we all know that isn't going to happen.  Hopefully things will slow down after MLK weekend and I will be able to try out some more new recipes.  In the interim, I hope you enjoy some of my quick and dirty meals.

One of my favorite quick and easy weeknight meals has already been posted - my mom's Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup.  Another of my favorite soup recipes is this Italian egg drop soup recipe from Mario Batali.  It is on the table from start to finish in 20 minutes and requires ingredients that are always in my pantry, and should always be in any moderately well-stocked pantry.

I generally serve it with a baguette, or other bread that I picked up at the grocery, and a very simple arugula or spinach salad. 

Recipe after the jump!




Stracciatella alla Romana

Molto Italiano:  327 Simple Italian Recipes to Cook at Home

By Mario Batali


INGREDIENTS:
6 cups chicken stock
3 large eggs
3 tbsp semolina flour
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus extra for serving
1 tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
s&p


If chicken stock is warm, measure out 1 cup and refrigerate until chilled.  Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring the remaining 5 cups of stock to a boil.  In a small bowl, combine the cold broth, eggs, semolina, parm-reg, parsley, and nutmeg.  Whisk until well-mixed.  Whisk mixture into the boiling stock.  Reduce heat to low, and cook, whisking, 3-4 minutes.  Season with s&p to taste.


Divide soup among 6 warmed bowls.  Serve immediately, topped with more grated Parm-Reg.

No comments:

Post a Comment