Sunday, July 18, 2010

Shaved Zucchini Salad with Parmesan Pine Nuts


I'm sure if I had ever lived on a farm I would seriously struggle with finding new uses for all of the zucchini and tomatoes that are in season during the summer.  I love both, but there are only so many uses I have found thus far for zucchini.  I have tried baking it into breads and cakes, mixing it into turkey meatloaf, sauteing it, grilling it, baking it, throwing it into frittatas and omelets, using it in various pasta recipes, and serving it on top of pizzas.  For years I have been seeing recipes for raw zucchini carpaccio, but somehow they never appealed.  Then I saw this recipe for Shaved Zucchini Salad with Parmesan Pine Nuts and it seemed like a new and interesting way to use up my CSA zucchini.

We served the salad for lunch today with some organic boxed whole wheat mac n' cheese.  It was the perfect light side dish for yet another hot afternoon.  It wasn't my favorite zucchini recipe I have ever tried, but the combination of the lemon vinaigrette, fresh basil, and toasted pine nuts with the thinly shaved zucchini ribbons was an interesting and tasty one.  And when you take into account the fact that I didn't have to cook anything and it all came together in 10-15 minutes, I'm sold.

Recipe after the jump!




Shaved Zucchini Salad with Parmesan Pine Nuts
August 2010

INGREDIENTS:
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp coarse kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp dried crushed red pepper
2 lbs. medium zucchini, trimmed
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
Small wedge of Parmesan cheese

Whisk oil, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and crushed red pepper in small bowl to blend. Set dressing aside.

Using vegetable peeler or V-slicer and working from top to bottom of each zucchini, slice zucchini into ribbons (about 1/16 inch thick). Place ribbons in large bowl. Add basil and nuts, then dressing; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Using vegetable peeler, shave strips from Parmesan wedge over salad.



No comments:

Post a Comment